DHA - Health Care Leadership
Increase your ability to lead health care organizations through an era of reform and heightened expectations. Skilled leaders are needed to break new ground and integrate health care research into the workplace to prepare a rapidly changing workforce.
Capella University's online Doctor of Health Administration (DHA) in Health Care Leadership program prepares you to improve health systems. This program focuses on contemporary leadership roles, strategic vision and planning, and evidence-based leadership in health care, in addition to core courses covering advanced health administration concepts and practices.
The nationally recognized NCHL Health Leadership Competency Model — which is integrated into Capella's DHA in Healthcare Leadership program — features a real-world, action-oriented approach: evidence-based case studies, simulation exercises, consulting projects, presentations, and more. With our interprofessional approach, you learn about, from, and with other health care professions, gaining leadership skills to partner across professions to achieve common goals.
- Direct Path: Complete your DHA in Health Care Leadership in as few as three years if you have an MHA, or three and a half years when you have another master’s degree*. For those with an MHA, you can directly transfer 12 quarter credits, saving you six months and more than $8,000. If you have additional applicable doctoral coursework, you may be able to transfer six additional credits for up to 18 transfer credits in total.
- Professionally Aligned: Our competency-based curriculum allows you to gain the relevant competencies that employers require.
- Credible: Capella is a participant in the American College of Healthcare Executives Higher Education Network.
- Real-World Experience: Practice real-life leadership scenarios in a fail-safe, virtual health care environment during your specialization courses—then use those skills in your integrated capstone and practicum course that could help you lead at the top of your field.
- Distinguished Faculty: Provide comprehensive feedback on your work, encourage different ways of thinking, and provide insight into how well you’re demonstrating competencies.
- Online Learning: 24-hour access to courses through Capella’s virtual courseroom.
With your DHA in Health Care Leadership from Capella, you'll lead organizational transformation, by creating an organizational climate that promotes personal and professional growth. You'll also design strategies to optimize organizational effectiveness, and promote research to improve health care systems.
Common jobs with a DHA in Health Care Leadership include chief executive/financial/operations officer, health information manager/director, hospital business manager, nurse manager, nursing director, practice manager/director or program manager/director. Potential workplaces include: ambulatory health care service, community care facility for the elderly, health clinic, hospital, insurance company, medical and diagnostic laboratory, nursing or residential care facility, or outpatient care center.
Degree Level: Doctorate
Delivery Format: Mostly Online
Accelerated Degree: No
Accreditation & Licensing
Capella University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Higher Learning Commission: www.hlcommission.org.
- Capella University, Capella Tower, 225 South Sixth Street, Ninth Floor, Minneapolis, MN 55402.
Your program of enrollment determines the admission requirements.
Basic requirements for all programs:
- Admission application and non-refundable $50 application fee
- Acknowledgement agreement
- All applicants must understand, read, speak, and write fluently in English
- Official transcript(s) from previous institutions for degree and post-degree coursework, if applicable
- Minimum GPA as defined by your program
Minimum level of education required:
- Master's degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency or an internationally recognized institution
- Grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers both foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so that what you’re learning in your courses is immediately applicable to your career goals.
Respected programs that move you forward
Organizations around the world have acknowledged Capella’s commitment to quality education with accreditations, state approvals, certifications, awards, recognitions, and designations. Right now, more than 37,000 students are expanding their opportunities with Capella programs.
Online education. Two ways.
Our FlexPath format lets you set your own deadlines and move at your own pace. Our GuidedPath format offers extra structure for those who need it.
Explore options in key professions
- Criminal Justice
- Education (K–12 & Higher Education)
- Emergency Management
- Health Care Administration
- Human Services
- Information Assurance and Security
- Information Technology
- Public Administration
- Public Health
- Social Work
Multiple ways to help you save
- Employer and association discounts
- Military discounts
- Transfer credit
- Streamlined programs
- Guides (online resource)
- Credit for real-world learning
Online flexibility and personalized support
At Capella, online learning means you can take your courseroom anywhere, learning when and where it fits your life. And if you need backup, support services are available every step of the way.
Ready to go further?
Connect with an enrollment counselor to discuss your education options. Select a program of interest and request information about a degree program to advance your career.
This program has not been ranked.
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.
Capella University cannot guarantee licensure, endorsement, certification, authorization, other professional credentials, or salary advancement. State regulations and professional credential standards vary. It is the learner’s responsibility to understand and comply with requirements for their states and professional associations. For more information on licensure, see the Licensure section on the School’s website. Enrollment restrictions and/or other restrictions may apply to certain programs. Contact Capella University for more information.www.capellaresults.com