DNP - BSN-to-DNP (CCNE-accredited)
Earning a BSN to DNP program online can save you time and money. Capella's pathway takes you straight from your BSN to a DNP, allowing you to get to your goal of achieving a doctoral degree faster, without the time and expense of earning an MSN along the way.
Our CCNE-accredited BSN-to-DNP program focuses on administrative, organizational, and systems leadership competencies to prepare you for a variety of nursing leadership positions. The program incorporates the American Association of Colleges of Nursing's (AACN) Essentials of Master's Education in Nursing as well as the Essentials of Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice. Additionally, Capella is a proud partner of the American Nurses Association. ANA has chosen Capella as a partner on the ANA Leadership Institute, providing nurse leadership development in a flexible format for nurses at the bedside or in the boardroom.
The DNP program differentiates itself from a PHD in that it is less research-focused and more of a practice doctorate. With a DNP, you'll be prepared to solve complex health care problems, shape systems of care, educate future generations of nurses, and lead organization-level improvements.
- No Residency: The online BSN to DNP program at Capella does not require your participation in an in-person residency, therefore allowing you to spend more time with family and focus on any work commitments you may have.
- Practice Immersion: Knowledge in the classroom is immediately applicable with this flexible practice immersion option. You will be able to use the evidence-based methods you've learned throughout your coursework to solve real healthcare challenges.
- Save Time and Money: Maximize your investment and fund your degree through a number of money saving options including employer discounts and military benefits.
- Online Learning: Earn your BSN to DNP degree 100% online and enjoy the flexibility that Capella’s virtual course room provides. You will have 24-hour access to the course room, leaving you in control of your own schedule.
- Professionally Aligned: Our competency based education allows you to gain the relevant competencies that the employers of today require.
With your Doctorate in Nursing Practice from Capella you'll have the ability to employ a science-based theoretical foundation to develop and evaluate new practices and approaches to health care delivery, lead planning and implementation of health care technologies, as well as develop, implement, and advocate for health care policy that meets the needs of specific populations.
Common jobs with an online Doctorate in Nursing Practice include nursing administrator, education consultant, chief nursing officer, health care director, lobbyist or legislative consultant, or nursing professor. Potential workplaces include: hospital, clinic, medical center, community health agency, community or technical college, land-based or online university, hospital-based school of nursing, government agency or self employment.
Degree Level: Doctorate
Delivery Format: Mostly Online
Accelerated Degree: Yes
Accreditation & Licensing
Capella University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Higher Learning Commission: www.hlcommission.org.
- Capella University, Capella Tower, 225 South Sixth Street, Ninth Floor, Minneapolis, MN 55402.
The BSN, MSN, and DNP degree programs at Capella University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation).
Your program of enrollment determines the admission requirements.
Basic requirements for all programs:
- Admission application and non-refundable $50 application fee
- Acknowledgement agreement
- All applicants must understand, read, speak, and write fluently in English
- Official transcript(s) from previous institutions for degree and post-degree coursework, if applicable
- Minimum GPA as defined by your program
Minimum level of education required:
- Grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Current, unrestricted RN license to practice in the United States
- This program is not designed to prepare graduates for entry-level or advanced practice licensure as a nurse.
- A BSN degree is required.
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers both foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so that what you’re learning in your courses is immediately applicable to your career goals.
Respected programs that move you forward
Organizations around the world have acknowledged Capella’s commitment to quality education with accreditations, state approvals, certifications, awards, recognitions, and designations. Right now, more than 37,000 students are expanding their opportunities with Capella programs.
Online education. Two ways.
Our FlexPath format lets you set your own deadlines and move at your own pace. Our GuidedPath format offers extra structure for those who need it.
Explore options in key professions
- Criminal Justice
- Education (K–12 & Higher Education)
- Emergency Management
- Health Care Administration
- Human Services
- Information Assurance and Security
- Information Technology
- Public Administration
- Public Health
- Social Work
Multiple ways to help you save
- Employer and association discounts
- Military discounts
- Transfer credit
- Streamlined programs
- Guides (online resource)
- Credit for real-world learning
Online flexibility and personalized support
At Capella, online learning means you can take your courseroom anywhere, learning when and where it fits your life. And if you need backup, support services are available every step of the way.
Ready to go further?
Connect with an enrollment counselor to discuss your education options. Select a program of interest and request information about a degree program to advance your career.
This program has not been ranked.
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.
Capella University cannot guarantee licensure, endorsement, certification, authorization, other professional credentials, or salary advancement. State regulations and professional credential standards vary. It is the learner’s responsibility to understand and comply with requirements for their states and professional associations. For more information on licensure, see the Licensure section on the School’s website. Enrollment restrictions and/or other restrictions may apply to certain programs. Contact Capella University for more information.www.capellaresults.com