Learn how to apply counseling theory and research to your practice with a Certificate in Alcohol and Drug Counseling. This online substance abuse counseling certificate program from Bethel University prepares students to start a career helping people overcome addiction.
The program’s Christian viewpoint provides a strong foundation that can be applied to social work, mental health, congregational care, and more. Current, evidence-based care models focus on treating the whole person. Graduates are qualified for alcohol and drug counseling licensure in Minnesota. Out-of-state students should check with their state licensing boards for qualification requirements.
Students will gain skills such as:
- Screening, assessing, and designing addiction treatment plans
- Practicing intercultural sensitivity in counseling
- Integrating a Christian worldview with clients
- Navigating professional and ethical issues faced by addictions counselors
- At least two years of work experience
- Completion of 60 semester college credits
- Official transcripts
School Accreditation Statement
Higher Learning Commission