Belhaven University traces its founding to the late nineteenth century, when Belhaven College first opened its doors in Jackson, Mississippi, as a private institution serving the educational needs of young women. It later merged with McComb Female Institute, in 1911, and then merged once more, with the Mississippi Synodical College in 1939. Belhaven continued to evolve, becoming co-educational in the 1950s. Since that period, Belhaven has “reaffirmed” its Christian status, and has expanded academic programming, and added graduate and continuing educational programs. In 2010, Belhaven officially changed its title from Belhaven College to Belhaven University.
Today, the private, not-for-profit four-year institution awards associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, along with supporting certificate programs. Belhaven’s adult and graduate degree programs are tailored to fit the busy schedules of working professionals and non-traditional students. Furthermore, Belhaven University supports online learning opportunities to offer added flexibility and convenience. Undergraduate students can choose from two online options: the asynchronous path allows students to complete assignments and work when it suits, as long as deadlines are met, and the second synchronous option gives students the opportunity to participate in a virtual classroom, with real-time interaction between the instructor and students. Graduate work is completed asynchronously.
Accreditation & Licensing
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges