American Public University System’s Momentum program allows students to move at their own pace by progressing through the program as they show mastery in competency areas. The online Emergency Management degree prepares students for a wide range of careers in emergency management and public safety.
Interested individuals need to have an associate’s degree to participate in the Momentum program. Students will participate in online laboratory simulations of scenarios they may encounter in real life working situations. Graduates will be prepared to assist with prevention, management, mitigation, and recovery from manmade and natural disasters.
Some of the competencies students will master in this program include:
- Explaining the processes involved in an emergency response to community hazardous situations
- Analyzing past emergency situations to determine best practices to minimize negative impact on the community and responders
- Understanding the threat of chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosive weapons to society
- Identifying key challenges in disaster risk reduction and explaining variation in community vulnerability
- Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent
- College Readiness Assessment (waived for students with 9 or more college credits)
- Official transcripts
School Accreditation Statement
Higher Learning Commission