Early Intervention Specialist Degree

  • Last Post 06 February 2014
eileen posted this 07 September 2013 - Last edited 15 March 2016

I have a BS in Psychology, minor in English and have been a preschool director for the past 15 years. I want enroll in a 100% on line Master's program. I am struggling with the program to choose. I am very passionate and interested in early childhood and child psychology. I have heard the following job titles: early childhood intervention specialist early childhood education specialist early childhood specialist child psychology I would love to use the knowledge and experiences I have and perhaps be a consultant to families and young children. I need help!!! Is there an specific area of study you would recommend and schools on line that offer that area? Thank you!

Kayleigh posted this 11 September 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi Eileen,

I'd let to get a little more information from you so I can provide the most personalized answer!

First, what state do you work in or intend on working in? Licensure requirements for Early Childhood Intervention Specialists differ from state to state and are incorporated into many degree programs.

Second, are you open to pursuing a teaching licensure or would you rather focus on the psychology/counseling/education leadership & administration side of the arena?

Best, Kayleigh

eileen posted this 15 September 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

I liive in Vermont and work in New Hampshire. I would like to be flexible to work in both states. I am open to pursuing a teaching licensure but I do not want to teach elementary school. Eileen

Kayleigh posted this 20 September 2013 - Last edited 26 October 2015

Hi Eileen,

We profile a HUGE number of online master degrees in education, over 600!

From this list you can narrow your choices by clicking the red "Choose Major" text in the left-hand menu. Try narrowing by Early Childhood Education, Special Education, and Educational Leadership, but feel free to play around with different choices to see more options.

University of Missouri offers an online Master of Education in Learning, Teaching & Curriculum / Learning & Instruction: Early Childhood Education that has earned a GetEducated Best Buy award.

You could also consider a leadership-slanted online master's in Education like the University of West Florida Master of Education in Educational Leadership, also a GetEducated Best Buy!

Keep in mind both of these options do not include licensure of any kind. Also, some master's do require a teaching license to enroll so be sure to check degree prerequisites.

The good news? In New Hampshire you do not need a specific license to work as an Early Intervention Specialist but rather must go through a state certification process.

You can find the certification process for Massachusetts here.

Best of luck :)



jbrynsvold posted this 06 February 2014 - Last edited 26 October 2015

Check out Columbia College's Master of Education in Educational Leadership