University of San Francisco

2130 Fulton St, San Francisco, CA 94117-1080

School Details

The University of San Francisco is a private Jesuit university located in San Francisco, California. Founded in 1855 by Rev. Anthony Maraschi, Rev. Joseph Bixio and Rev. Michael Accolti of the Italian Jesuits, the university was originally known as the Saint Ignatius Academy. Four years later, St. Ignatius Academy received its official charter and became St. Ignatius College. In the beginning years, students studied the classics including subjects such as history, Greek, and Latin, among many others. In 1906 during San Francisco's earthquake and subsequent fire, the college was entirely devastated and relocated near Golden Gate Park. In 1927, the college moved yet again to its current location centrally located between the Golden Gate Bridge and the Golden Gate Park. Three years later, the college underwent another transformation to signify its 75th anniversary and changed its name to the University of San Francisco. In1964, USF opened its doors to women and became officially coeducational. The University of San Francisco is regionally accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. 

The University of San Francisco currently has about 6,000 total undergraduate students with an additional enrollment of about 3,500 graduate students. USF is a recognized as a fairly selective university accepting about 68 percent of its applicants. The university has a retention rate of 86 percent of students and 70 percent of undergraduate students graduate within six years. Almost 100 percent of USF students are considered to be full time students with just three percent of students recognized as part-time. The average age of the USF student body is 20 years old. The gender ratio at USF favors women at about 65 percent female students, which is surprising due to its origins as a male only university. About three-quarters of USF students are from California. The University of San Francisco has a widely diverse student body with 38 percent of students identifying as Caucasian, 19 percent Asian students, 18 percent Hispanic students, and three percent African American students. 

As a private institution, annual tuition and fees for the University of San Francisco is the same for both in- and out-of-state students. Tuition and fees at USF is about $38,900. Part-time students' cost per credit hour is around $1,300. Higher education can be extremely costly and as a result students should be aware of the financial aid opportunities available to them. USF students can receive federal financial aid, apply for scholarships and grants as well as find jobs through a federal work-study program. Additionally, students at USF can utilize the installment payment plan option. Of the students who received financial aid, about 65 percent of USF students received financial aid in the form scholarships or grants while the remaining 35 percent did so through loans and part time jobs. The average first year financial aid package granted is about $28,000. Ninety percent of USF students were judged to have need and 89 percent received need-based aid. Eighty percent of students had their full need met. USF students with need received an average loan of about $4,300 and an average scholarship amount of approximately $24,000. The average indebtedness for a USF student at the time of graduation is around $31,500.

Students at USF can pursue degrees at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral level. USF students can major in subjects such as Chemistry, Economics, Advertising, Nursing and many more. Bachelor’s degrees at USF require approximately 120 credit hours to complete and can be completed in four years as a full time student. Master’s degree requirements vary by program and can range from about 24 credits to 36. Master’s degrees can be completed in an average of 18 months. Doctoral programs at USF also vary in their credit hour requirements due to their highly specialized nature. Doctoral degrees can typically be completed in an average of three years.

Students interested in a degree or program from the University of San Francisco should request more information.

Accreditation

N/A

Expand

School Overview:

  • Sector Of Institution:
    Private, not-for-profit, 4-year or above
  • Religious Affiliation:

    Jesuit

  • Highest Level Of Offering:
    Doctorate degree
  • Total Enrollments:
    9,557
  • Adult Age Enrollments:
    3,555
  • Percent Admitted:
    68%
  • Calendar System:
    Semester

Affordability

Reviews

Success! Thank you for submitting a review. You may not see your review immediately as it still subject to review.

Available Programs

Expand
Start HERE to Boost your Career