North Iowa Area Community College is a two-year, public institution of higher learning accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees and certificates. In addition to overall accreditation, North Iowa Area Community College has also received specific accreditation for its programs of study in the areas of Nursing, and Physical Therapy.
North Iowa Area Community College was founded in 1918 as the first public, two-year college in Iowa and was originally named Mason City Junior College. In 1965, the school was renamed to North Iowa Area Community College, and then in 1970, it moved to its current campus on the east edge of Mason City. The main focus of North Iowa Area Community College is to enhance the quality of life for people of North Iowa through comprehensive educational opportunities, progressive partnerships, exemplary service and responsive leadership.
Students interested in applying to North Iowa Area Community College should note that there is an open admissions policy and students are accepted based on a rolling admissions schedule.
Students who enroll at North Iowa Area Community College return for a subsequent year at a rate of 59 percent for full-time students and 28 percent for part-time students. Credits at North Iowa Area Community College can transfer to other institutions of higher education, and about 25 percent of students take advantage of this each year and transfer to another institution of higher learning. Of the students who choose to stay at North Iowa Area Community College, 32 percent graduate within the two years it is expected to take to earn an associate’s degree and 42 percent graduate within three years.
There are 3,557 students at North Iowa Area Community College, of which 925 are students over the age of 24 and considered to be adult learners. About 53 percent of the students attend class on a full-time schedule, leaving 47 percent of the student body classified as part-time students.
Statistics show a gender breakdown of about 56 percent female students and 44 percent male students. White students represent 88 percent of the population at North Iowa Area Community College. The other racial groups of African American, Hispanic and Asian denote three percent, four percent and one percent of the student body, respectively. The majority of the student body comes to North Iowa Area Community College from within the state of Iowa with 81 percent declaring in-state residency.
Students can complete a variety of programs leading to associate degrees or certificates. North Iowa Area Community College offers about 32 different Associates degrees, 13 diplomas, eight certificates and five specializations within a wide array of programs. There are 173 faculty members. All of the current faculty members are instructional faculty members who teach the classes at North Iowa Area Community College. Students can expect average class sizes due to a 22:1 student-to-faculty ratio.
In addition to traditional, face to face classes, North Iowa Area Community College offers online classes to help accommodate the busy schedules of its students. Students can take courses that can apply towards their degree through North Iowa Area Community College’s ANGEL Learning Management System. This system helps to make the online class experience as hands-on for the students as possible. Students can also earn an Associate of Arts degree or an Associate of Science in Business Degree entirely through online education.
In addition to academic programs, North Iowa Area Community College offers a variety of clubs and student organizations for students to become involved in and to help encourage the enhancing of cultural, intellectual, social and leadership skills. North Iowa Area Community College believes that recreational, intellectual and social activities will make the college experience even more memorable and encourages all students to join an activity or club that interests them.
The clubs offered range from the Education Club, Collegiate Entrepreneurs’ Organization, and Global diversity organizations, to Disc Golf Club, the Nursing Club, and Phi Theta Kappa. The College also hosts publications such as Logos, the student newspaper and INK, the literary magazine. Students can also participate in intramural sports and musical groups.
The yearly tuition for in-state students is $4,506 and tuition for out-of-state students is $6,385. Currently 63 percent of students at North Iowa Area Community College receive grant or scholarship aid resulting in an average aid amount of $6,575. Students also receive loans to help cover the cost of tuition at a rate of about 45 percent with the average loan amount equaling $4,989.
Sector Of Institution:Public, 2-year
Highest Level Of Offering:Associate's degree
Adult Age Enrollments:925
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.