New York Institute of Technology

Northern Blvd, Old Westbury, NY 11568-8000

School Details

The New York Institute of Technology was founded in 1955 through a provisional charter granted by the New York State Board of Regents. By 1960, another provisional charter was granted that allowed The New York Institute of Technology to operate as a four-year college. The New York Institute of Technology’s accreditation status was obtained through the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. In addition to overall accreditation, specialized accreditation in the areas of Nursing, Osteopathic Medicine, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy and Teacher Education have also been awarded.

The New York Institute of Technology is classified as a private, four year institution. The New York Institute of Technology operates with the mission is “...to provide career-oriented professional education, to offer access to opportunity to all qualified students and to support applications-oriented research that benefits the larger world”.

The New York Institute of Technology has a main campus located in Old Westbury, New York as well as other satellite campuses situated around the world. The satellite campus locations include:

  • Manhattan, New York
  • Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
  • Amman, Jordan
  • Manama, Bahrain
  • Nanjing, China
  • Vancouver, Canada

When applying to The New York Institute of Technology, potential students apply through an online application and need to submit a $50 application fee. Applicants are also required to submit their secondary school transcripts, SAT or ACT scores, and their official GPA. The New York Institute of Technology has an acceptance rate of 66% and students who are granted admission ultimately decide to enroll at a rate of 21%.

Students who do attend The New York Institute of Technology typically return for a following year at a rate of 70% for students who were previously full time enrollments and 30% for students who were previously part time enrollments. Students typically graduate from The New York Institute of Technology within the four years it is expected to earn a Bachelor’s degree at a rate of 24% and graduate within six years at a rate of 46%.

There are 7,883 students currently enrolled at The New York Institute of Technology, of these students, 3,998 are adult learners over the age of 24. Students at The New York Institute of Technology are mostly full-time enrollments making up about 84% of the student body and leaving 16% as part-time enrollment students. The gender breakdown shows a student body with about 39% female students and 61% male students. There is racial diversity with the largest reported racial group being white students, which make up 24% of students. The other reported represented ethnicities of Hispanic, African American and Asian make up 12%, 9% and 14% of the student body respectively. Most students come from within the state of New York with 82% of students declaring in-state residency. The remaining 18% is made up of 11% out-of-state students and 7% international students.

Programs at The New York Institute of Technology are divided into seven academic schools. These schools offer programs of study leading to Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees, Doctoral degrees and certificates and competency credentials relating to more than 100 different career fields. The seven academic schools include:

  • College of Arts and Sciences
  • College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • School of Architecture and Design
  • School of Education
  • School of Engineering and Computing Sciences
  • School of Health Professions
  • School of Management

For working, adult individuals who are interested in completing a degree or certificate program, The New York Institute of Technology offers a large variety of online courses that can be completed when and where is most convenient to the student.

There are also degree programs that can be completed entirely online. These degrees are within the School of Education, the College of Engineering and Computing Sciences and the School of Health Professionals. The specific degrees are:

  • Adolescence Education: Specialist in Mathematics, M.S.
  • Adolescence Education: Specialist in Science, M.S.
  • Childhood Education, M.S.
  • Instructional Technology, M.S.
  • Energy Management, M.S.
  • Clinical Nutrition, M.S.

There are a total of 1,247 faculty members, all of which are considered instructional faculty. These faculty members make up an 10:1 student-to-faculty ratio, which makes for below average class sizes and allows for individualized attention.

Students can find many ways to stay busy outside of class. Some of ways for a student to spend free time is through participating in extracurricular activities. The clubs and organizations at The New York Institute of Technology are designed to provide students with the opportunity to socialize and network with others who share their interests while broadening their perspectives and enhancing their resumes. The extracurricular activities that are currently offered by The New York Institute of Technology include:

  • Accounting Club
  • Chinese Business Student Association
  • Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization
  • Convention Association
  • Finance Club
  • Indian Graduate Association
  • Law Club
  • Minorities in Hospitality
  • Society of Hosteurs
  • Society for Human Resource Management

The yearly tuition and fees for enrollment at The New York Institute of Technology is $28,940 for both in and out of state students. The financial aid office can help students with the tuition payment plan and can help student find and apply for grants, scholarships and loans. Currently, 80% of the student population accepts some form of grant or scholarship aid. The average grant or scholarship package is $13,659 per student per year. Students can also take on loans for extra assistance, 55% of students have student loans and the average loan amount is $7,346.

Accreditation

N/A

Expand

School Overview:

  • Sector Of Institution:
    Private, not-for-profit, 4-year or above
  • Religious Affiliation:

    N/A

  • Highest Level Of Offering:
    Doctorate degree
  • Total Enrollments:
    3,998
  • Adult Age Enrollments:
    1,578
  • Percent Admitted:
    66%
  • Calendar System:
    Semester

Affordability

Reviews

Success! Thank you for submitting a review. You may not see your review immediately as it still subject to review.

Available Programs

Expand
Start HERE to Boost your Career