La Roche College

9000 Babcock Blvd, Pittsburgh, PA 15237-5898

School Details

La Roche College is a private college located in McCandless, a suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The Sisters of Divine Providence founded the school in 1963 as a Roman Catholic college for religious sisters. La Roche was named in honor of Maria de la Roche who was the first superior of the Congregation of the Sisters of Divine Providence. In 1970, La Roche College became an independent Catholic institution while persifying course offerings through its affiliation with the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, which allowed for several new areas of study to emerge. Today, La Roche College offers high-quality educational opportunities that reflect its Catholic heritage and the spirit of its foundation.

Programs offered at La Roche College include over 50 undergraduate majors, 20 undergraduate minors and three graduate programs. La Roche offers each of 2012’s  “top 10” most popular career fields among college students, as ranked by The Princeton Review. These majors include: Interior Design, Graphic Design, Criminal Justice/National Security, Business, Education, the Natural Sciences, Information Technology, the Social Sciences and Nursing.

Online courses are available for students who want a flexible learning environment. Students who typically do well in online courses are able to work independently, are self-motivated and organized, are goal-oriented, are disciplined, and have strong time management skills. To take an online class, you need to have an active La Roche email account, a computer with Internet access, anti-virus software, and a Blackboard account.

In 1993, the school established the Pacem In Terris Institute in order to foster global citizenship. This program brings students from over 21 conflict, post-conflict, or developing countries of the world to study at the La Roche College.  The program provides scholarships and assistance that are chosen based on academic and personal potential. In return for their studies, students promise to return to their homelands upon completion of their degree so that they can work for peace and prosperity in their regions. Several members of foreign countries are on the Board of the Pacem In Terris Institute, including Kim Dae-jung, the past president of the Republic of Korea; Queen Rania Al-Abdullah, first lady of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan; and Janet Musevini, first lady of the Republic of Uganda.

Maintaining new and updated facilities is very important for leaders of La Roche College. Two new residence halls were added in the mid-1970s, the Palumbo Science Center opened in 1980, the $2.5 million Zappala College Center was built in 1987 for the schools 25th anniversary, followed by the opening of the Magdalen Chapel, which was added in 1990. In 1993 the 1,200 seat Kerr Fitness and Sports Center was opened and in both 1997 and 2003 residence halls were added to the campus.

Most students (83%) study full-time while the remaining 17% of students study part-time. The school is almost equal in the number of men and women who attend; 58% of all students are female and 32% of all students are male. The majority of students are White (64%) with the remainder being Black and Hispanic. About 80% of students reside in state while 11% of students are from out-of-state and 10% of students come from a foreign country. Most students are 24 years old or younger (76%) while the remaining 24% of students are over the age of 25. Of all 166 faculty members, 62 teach full-time and 104 teach part-time.

To apply for enrollment, students need to submit their high school record and GPA, recommendations, and admission test scores for either the SAT or ACT. Only 46% of students who apply are accepted into the school and statistics show that 38% of the admitted students will enroll in La Roche College. Only 52% of students graduate overall with a 28% transfer-out rate.

Tuition and fees for all students cost $23,160 per year with an estimated $1,200 in extra expenses. On campus room and board costs $9,182 per year with an estimated $2,112 in other expenses while off-campus room and board is estimated at $7,876 with $2,924 in other expenses. The average tuition for graduate students is $15,000 per year.

Almost all students who complete a FAFSA form obtain some type of financial aid. The majority (77%) of students who receive financial aid will receive aid in the form of grants or scholarships while 72% of students receiving aid will receive student loans.

La Roche College sports teams are members of the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s Division III. Men’s sports include the following: basketball, baseball, cross country golf, lacrosse, and soccer while women’s sports include: basketball, cross country, soccer, softball, tennis, and volleyball.

Student services available at La Roche College include: remedial tutoring, academic/career counseling, employment services, and placement services for graduates. Teacher certification, distance learning opportunities, and study abroad are all offered at La Roche College as well.

La Roche College is fully accredited by the following: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, National League for Nursing Accreditation Commissions, Inc. (NLNAC), Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDI), National Association of Schools of Art & Design (NASAD), American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (AANA), Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE), American Marketing Association (AMA), The Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), and the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JCERT).

Accreditation

N/A

Expand

School Overview:

  • Sector Of Institution:
    Private, not-for-profit, 4-year or above
  • Religious Affiliation:
    Roman Catholic
  • Highest Level Of Offering:
    Master's degree
  • Total Enrollments:
    1,416
  • Adult Age Enrollments:
    388
  • Percent Admitted:
    46%
  • Calendar System:
    Semester

Affordability

Reviews

Success! Thank you for submitting a review. You may not see your review immediately as it still subject to review.

Available Programs

Expand
Start HERE to Boost your Career