Founded in 1966, Illinois Central College is a public, 2-year institution of higher learning in East Peoria, Illinois. The school’s mission statement is “Through learning, minds change. We believe by changing minds, we can change the world.” The college’s board-approved statement of purpose is “to enable students to reach their educational potential, and to serve as a resource for the educational and cultural needs of the community”.
Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association, Illinois Central College offers more than 150 career, certification, and transfer programs. The college’s philosophy is “The student is the center of all that is done at Illinois Central College.” Based on that philosophy, courses are offered during the day, evenings, weekends, and summertime to accommodate all schedules.
In addition to academics, students have the choice of more than 40 clubs and organizations for interests such as music, politics, and intramural sports. The community also offers cultural events with ballet, chorale, opera, and symphony orchestra performances, as well as galleries and museums ready for exploration.
Illinois Central College students compete in National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) sports. In order to participate, athletes must maintain at least a 2.0 grade point average as full-time students. Men’s sports include baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, and soccer. Women’s sports include basketball, cross country, soccer, softball, and volleyball.
Illinois Central College’s East Peoria campus consists of five main buildings in a 400-acre forested setting. The Peoria campus consists of two main buildings along the bustling riverfront in the downtown area. Peoria is a town of about 400,000 with Midwestern charm with everything students need, including access to larger cities such as Chicago, Indianapolis, and St. Louis.
Illinois Central College values innovative solutions to new challenges. As a result, they have created a dynamic document called Blueprint for the Future which collects feedback from the community, staff, and students in order to make informed decisions for the school. For example, the college is currently focused on three strategic priorities:
- Outreach – Increase the number of enrollments in online programs by developing a virtual campus for distance education.
- Learning – Increase the retention rates of students and their academic success by enhancing educational and student support.
- Workforce – Increase the school’s appeal to a diverse, quality workforce through development of a thorough employee recruitment plan.
Illinois Central College participates in the Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP), “an accrediting project of the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).” This project’s mission is to improve organizations in the following ways:
- Focus all college activities toward increasing the quality of student learning
- People and departments throughout the school are involved in AQIP processes
- Decisions are made based on feedback information
- Decisions and actions are measured by their effectiveness
Tuition is about $3,450 per year for in-district residents, or free for credit-only students who are age 65 years or older. For out-of-district students, tuition is $7,650. For out-of-state students, tuition is $8,550.
The following types of financial aid are available at Illinois Central College once a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has been submitted:
- Federal Pell Grant – available to students who do not yet have a degree and have “the lowest expected family contributions” based on the FAFSA.
- Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) – students who submit the FAFSA before June 1st of each year may be eligible; full-time students are given first preference for funding
- Federal Work Study (FWS) – based on financial need
- Illinois Map Grant – based on financial need
Sector Of Institution:Public, 2-year
Highest Level Of Offering:Associate's degree
Adult Age Enrollments:4,422
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.