Fayetteville State University

1200 Murchison Rd, Fayetteville, NC 28301-4298

School Details

Fayetteville State University is a historically black university located in Fayetteville, North Carolina. FSU is the second-oldest public institution of higher education in North Carolina and is a member of the University of North Carolina System. Founded in 1867 as the Howard School, the school’s original purpose was to provide intermediate education to African American citizens. In 1877, the Howard School became the State Colored Normal School. The State Colored Normal School was the first African American state-sponsored teacher education institution in North Carolina. 

Over the next fifty years the school expanded significantly, and in 1939 the university became an accredited four-year institution. As a result, the school’s name was changed yet again to Fayetteville State Teachers College. From there, university expanded its curriculum to include programs in areas other than teaching. To signify its status as a college offering a broad range of degree programs, the school dropped “Teachers” from its name and became Fayetteville State College in 1963. Just six years later, the school changed its name for the final time to Fayetteville State University. Today, the university offers a wide range of degree programs and levels. Fayetteville State University is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

Fayetteville State University has about 5,300 undergraduate students and almost 800 graduate students. Fayetteville State University has a high retention rate of almost 80 percent of students returning to FSU for their second year. The average age of the entire student population is 27 years old and 25 years old for full time students. Most students at FSU qualify as full-time, although, almost a quarter of students are part-time. 

As a historically black university, African American students make up around 70 percent of the student body. The remaining 30 percent is made up of Caucasian, Hispanic, Native American and Asian ethnicities. A significantly larger proportion of female to male students attend FSU, with a gender ratio of 70:30. Almost all FSU students live in North Carolina and just five percent of students live outside the state. 

Students have many opportunities to get involved with almost 80 student organizations to choose from. Additionally, the university also offers intramural programs in a variety of different sports such as basketball, football, soccer, and swimming, among others. 

FSU students have many financial aid resources available to them, including Federal Financial Aid, scholarships, grants, private loans and federal work study programs. Around half of all financial aid awarded is from scholarships and grants and the remaining half is due to work study programs and loans. Almost 95 percent of students were judged to have financial aid need and a little more than 90 percent of students were offered aid. Almost 20 percent of students had their entire financial aid need met. 

Fayetteville State University offers degrees at the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level. The university consists of five schools, including the School of Business and Economics, the College of Arts and Sciences, the University College, the School of Education and the Graduate School and Sponsored Research. Bachelor’s degree programs require students to complete an average of 124 credit hours. Master’s degree programs require an average of 36 credit hours to complete the program. Students completing their doctorate must earn a minimum of 60 credit hours.

Students interested in a degree or program from Fayetteville State University should request more information.

Accreditation

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges

Expand

School Overview:

  • Sector Of Institution:
    4-year, Public
  • Religious Affiliation:

    None

  • Highest Level Of Offering:
    Doctor's degree
  • Total Enrollments:
    5,899
  • Adult Age Enrollments:
    2,908
  • Percent Admitted:
    50%
  • Calendar System:
    Semester

Affordability

Reviews

Success! Thank you for submitting a review. You may not see your review immediately as it still subject to review.

Available Programs

Expand
Start HERE to Boost your Career