Online PhD Exercise Science / Kinesiology

• 1.8K Views
  • Last Post 14 April 2015
JLGCSCS posted this 11 April 2013 - Last edited 14 March 2016

Group: Does anyone know of any possible future doctorates (Ph.D or Ed.D) in exercise science, kinesiology, human performance, sport science, biomechanics or the like that may come to fruition? As of right now all I know of that is similar is the Ed.D in sports management offered from the United States Sports Academy, but that is more business oriented. Thanks.

6 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 11 April 2013 - Last edited 26 October 2015

Hi,

WE do have hundreds of online doctorates in our degree directory.

WE do list an online doctorate in sports management from Northcentral University Online.

Where do you live? In the United States? If so, what state? There may be hybrid doctorates in this area that are offered mostly online with some weekends of a few days on campus.

Tell us more ...we'll see if we can find any options for you.

Vicky Phillips

JLGCSCS posted this 11 April 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

I live in Tennessee. Middle Tennessee State University and East Tennessee State University both offer Ph.Ds in human performance (exercise science/kinesiology) however they pratically require you to abandon your job and live there.

Thanks for replying.

VickyPhillips posted this 12 April 2013 - Last edited 26 October 2015

Hi JL,

This is a tough one!

Kinesiology is not popular as a phd option on campus or online so I am hitting walls in researching this major at the doctorate level.

Some ideas:

The University of Hawaii at Manao offers some online courses toward a PhD in kinesiology SEE:https://coe.hawaii.edu/academics/kinesiology-rehabilitation-science/phd-program

Do you already have a master's in kinesiology? Do you want to teach sports or exercise science? Or are you looking at a career in rehab or applied medicine? Most distance learning in this area is focused on teaching/coaching.

For anyone who needs a master's below are some we found that would apply:

Online Kinesiology Masters at The University of Texas System Online 

The University of Wyoming Online Master of Science in Kinesiology - The M.S. in Kinesiology and Health is also offered off-campus to distance students as a Plan B (non-thesis) option. The area of emphasis for the distance program is physical education teacher education.

Georgia Southern University - College of Health and Human Sciences, Kinesiology - Master of Science in Kinesiology - Coaching Major Only 

University of Central Missouri College of Health and Human Services, Physical Education Exercise and Sport Science - MS Physical Education Exercise and Sports

I will keep looking for you ...

Vicky

JLGCSCS posted this 13 April 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

I have a BS in exercise science and a M.Ed, but would like to pursure a doctorate in the sports/exercise science domains. End goal would be to possibly teach academically and/or conduct research (coaching isn't an interest).

Thanks for the timely response.

VickyPhillips posted this 14 April 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi JL,

Thanks!

I have put put out feelings to several online universities to see if anyone can help you. In terms of demand, the market is mostly for master's who need teacher certification or coaching certification. So that's what is out there.

I will post if anyone responds back to me with leads on an online or hybrid phd close to you.

Please post back if you find a possibility on your own as it would help others searching for rare online learning opps in this area.

Vicky

JLGCSCS wrote: [quote]I have a BS in exercise science and a M.Ed, but would like to pursure a doctorate in the sports/exercise science domains. End goal would be to possibly teach academically and/or conduct research (coaching isn't an interest).

Thanks for the timely response.[/quote]

BAMA1236 posted this 14 April 2015 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi,

A.T. Still University has some online and hybrid programs including the following:

Doctor of Health Sciences Doctor of Health Education Doctor of Athletic Training Doctor of Health Administration

I am a student in the Doctor of Health Sciences program. This site is great...not sure if they could be added.

Jason