International College Credit Evaluation

  • 145 Views
  • Last Post 22 December 2012
GoFigure posted this 15 December 2012 - Last edited 14 March 2016

Need suggestion!! I am on work VISA (H1B) and trying to get into MBA in Texas A&M.I have 3 year Bachelor degree and one year PG dip in Mgt. I got my degrees evaluated by one of the companies (FSCA)suggested by school. As per evaluation, 3year B.com and 1 year PGDM is equivalent to US, Bachelor of Business Admn. Yesterday I submitted my original transcripts and credential evaluation and I was told that, I do not qualify for MBA as my bachelor is not four year and they refuse to accept evaluation from FSCA.(FCSA is one of the official evaluators for University as per their website). She even suggested that PGDM not even masters program (I told her that in south asia PG mean post graduate and it can only be done after Bachelor. Please suggested me whats the best course of action as the classes are starting Jan14 and there are very few days left She told me I can always appeal but I could make out my application isn't going anywhere.she also said they I can appeal to her (Via email) and she will send to right person. Please suggest me whats the best coarse of action so that I can resolve it ASAP, as classes are starting under month. Can I talk to someone else or I have to go through her only? Thanks

7 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 15 December 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hello,

Do you know or have you read the official evaluation process/policies at Texas A&M for international credentials? If so, can you give me a link to that page/policy?

Also, who are you talking to at Texas A&M, Is it the admissions department; the MBA department; the registrar's office; the dean's office; the bursar? Who has denied your request for an international bachelor's equivalency ruling? Many offices can be involved in the assessment of international credentials and many offices may rule on them.

If you can locate the official policy there will also be a way to "petition for exception" to any policy but to do this you need to know the policy and who ruled on it and then ask who you may petition to you for an exception or new ruling.

Colleges generally follow guidelines and policies on these things and so you need to locate the policy and the person(s) who rule on it and follow the policy steps.

No college has to accept anyone or any degree; but they do have to follow their own policies and give students ways to appeal or petition when they believe the policy ruling is wrong.

In many cases schools will allow a student to "provisionally" enroll in up to 2 courses PENDING formal policy reviews and prior to being admitted to a degree program. Ask about that policy also. It may be possible for you to enroll in a course or two while you wait for a ruling on formal acceptance into the degree program.

Good Luck! Vicky Phillips Founder - GetEducated

GoFigure posted this 15 December 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Dear Vicky,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I could not sleep the whole last night.

I have attended one of TAMUC's seminar and they told me to get my degree evaluation done from one of the agencies on their website.

http://web.tamu-commerce.edu/academics/graduateschool/documents/evaluationAgencies.pdf

My evaluation clearly mention that my qualification is equivalent to US Bachelor of Business Management.

It also states:

US Semester Hours/GPA:

Undergraduate:134 Hrs/2.87

Upper division 62 Hrs/3.10

The person I talked to is :

Suzanne Giossi Graduate Programs Specialist Texas A&M University-Commerce Office of Graduate Studies P O Box 3011 Commerce, TX 75429-3011 903-468-6049 903-886-5165 (fax) Suzanne.Giossi@tamuc.edu

She offered me to appeal the decision via email and she will forward it to concerned person.

I understand your point that any university can refuse admission but the basis which she is offering is "Equivalency Factor" which I feel is not true.

Please suggest what should I be doing?

Thanks

vicky posted this 17 December 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

HI Go Figure,

Thank you for the information.

What you list does indicate that your international degree ought to be the "equivalent" of a US bachelors. And you use an acceptable agency for the review, it appears.

You have 134 hours and an American bachelors requires 120-124; you have a 2.87 GPA

From what you have told me I do not see why your credentials would not be acceptable as bachelors level credentials in the US.

You have done the right thing -- and they have sent this to a person higher up for appeal.

Find out exactly why they are rejecting it. What would they need you to do to show "equivalency" under their admissions requirements? Do they need a new second evaluation from another agency? Do they need you to take some undergraduate pre requisite courses?

What do they need from you?

In the meantime, ask if you can be admitted "provisionally" to the MBA degree program and take a course or two while you wait for the appeal.

Most programs will allow students to take a course or two while awaiting the results of a appeal. You won't be allowed to earn an entire degree unless you are formally admitted but you can start the degree.

However, if the issue is your VISA I can't advise you if taking courses provisionally would meet your needs. You will need to talk to the VISA advisor at A&M and seek their help and suggestions on that issue and the requirements in your case for VISA extension.

Vicky

GoFigure wrote: [quote]Dear Vicky,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I could not sleep the whole last night.

I have attended one of TAMUC's seminar and they told me to get my degree evaluation done from one of the agencies on their website.

http://web.tamu-commerce.edu/academics/graduateschool/documents/evaluationAgencies.pdf

My evaluation clearly mention that my qualification is equivalent to US Bachelor of Business Management.

It also states:

US Semester Hours/GPA:

Undergraduate:134 Hrs/2.87

Upper division 62 Hrs/3.10

The person I talked to is :

Suzanne Giossi Graduate Programs Specialist Texas A&M University-Commerce Office of Graduate Studies P O Box 3011 Commerce, TX 75429-3011 903-468-6049 903-886-5165 (fax) Suzanne.Giossi@tamuc.edu

She offered me to appeal the decision via email and she will forward it to concerned person.

I understand your point that any university can refuse admission but the basis which she is offering is "Equivalency Factor" which I feel is not true.

Please suggest what should I be doing?

Thanks[/quote]

GoFigure posted this 19 December 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi Vicky,

You were right.I appealed to them and I just got email from them that they are accepting my application based on the Credential Report.

I must thank you for your suggestion of appealing and give reference about "Policy and Procedure".

It worked.

VickyPhillips posted this 20 December 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Yeah! Good show!
Mos people just give up when they get a "no." They don't realize that they often need to appeal a decision or get someone else to look at it in the university. When they do appeal, most, like you, are successful. Good luck in the program. Hope you like it!

Vicky

GoFigure wrote: [quote]Hi Vicky,

You were right.I appealed to them and I just got email from them that they are accepting my application based on the Credential Report.

I must thank you for your suggestion of appealing and give reference about "Policy and Procedure".

It worked.[/quote]

GoFigure posted this 20 December 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi Vicky,

I Have completed all the checklist items but GMAT score.

I am preparing for GMAT,However I don't think I will be ready to take my GMAT before 14th Jan.(the day classes are starting).

I checked on school website and they have policy of provisional admission.

Please advice how should I move forward from here.

Shall I email the same admission advisor or some one else?(regarding provisional admission).

VickyPhillips posted this 22 December 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi Go Figure,

Ask the same admissions adviser how to apply for provisional admission while you await the GMAT. They should be able to assist you or tell you who to contact to submit a provisional request for admissions.

Vicky

GoFigure wrote: [quote]Hi Vicky,

I Have completed all the checklist items but GMAT score.

I am preparing for GMAT,However I don't think I will be ready to take my GMAT before 14th Jan.(the day classes are starting).

I checked on school website and they have policy of provisional admission.

Please advice how should I move forward from here.

Shall I email the same admission advisor or some one else?(regarding provisional admission).[/quote]