MBA Prerequisite Courses

• Last Post 19 September 2013
gelali posted this 31 December 2012 - Last edited 15 March 2016

Hi There, I am considering applying for online MBA program. 1. I have BS in Computer Science, Am I going to be taking a lot of prerequisite courses since my BS is not in business? 2. I don't like to write a lot, but I am good studying materials and taking exams. So my question is how to know which program has less writing to do? 3. If anything else I missed regarding choosing the right program, please feel free to share your experience or suggestions. Thanks all and best of wishes. Tariq

7 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 31 December 2012 - Last edited 26 October 2015

Hi Tariq,

You do NOT have to have a bachelor's in business or a bachelor of science in business administration (BSBA) to attend most of the hundreds of online mba programs reviewed on the Get Educated site.

It is helpful that you have a bachelor's in computer science as there are several common undergrad or prep courses -- such as math/probability/stats/calculus and the management of info systems and databases that make a CS and business major very cross compatible.

You will find that almost ALL online MBA degrees will admit students who hold regionally accredited bachelor's in ANY major. Many do require though that you take certain foundation courses before entering or that you have job training equivalency in selected core business course areas.

Common BA/BS level Pre-requisite courses for a distance learning MBA include:

accounting 1 accounting 2 micro econ macro econ states/probability/discrete math computers and info system calculus (at some programs) intro management

That being the case you MIGHT at some programs have to take some of the above courses at the undergrad level if you have not taken them OR if you do not have the equivalent career/job experience knowledge.

AACSB accredited MBAs are most likely to impose these pre-reqs on you. You may want to avoid AACSB accredited programs if this is an issue for you.

SEE: Do I Need an AACSB MBA?

Many online MBA programs offer a special fast or accelerated package or module of pre-req course study online to help students meet any pre-reqs they impose.

As to writing - if you do not like it avoid any online MBA program that uses the case study method as that means a LOT of writing.

You did not ask about having to take the GMAT exam and that exam has a writing assessment. If you want to earn a MBA Online with NO GMAT exam requirement just see our list of Online MBA programs with no GMAT requirement.

Good Luck!

Vicky

gelali posted this 01 January 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi Vicky,

Thanks for the reply. You were very informative.

Can you explain what is case study method?

How to find out which schools have Case Study programs and which ones don't?

Is that the only indication of what style of teaching these programs have or should look for something else beside whether the school is a case study method of teaching program or not?

Thank you again.

Tariq

VickyPhillips posted this 01 January 2013 - Last edited 26 October 2015

Hi Tariq,

Good question .. the case study method of teaching, popular in some business schools, requires students to read case studies of what they are studying and then write papers about how they might apply the methods in their own corporate environment -- say you are studying operations management and so you might read cases of real live interventions and procedures at companies like Fed Ex or the USPS. You might then write a paper comparing and contrasting these methods to your own experience or company procedures. Written assessment is a heavy part of how you are graded.

You will not be able to avoid writing in grad school HOWEVER you should compare online MBA programs for the instructional methods they use. Not all programs are alike.

The Colorado State University Online MBA, for example, has long used the video and CD method with software exercises and group writing projects.

You actually watch the classroom lectures and events online or on mailed CD and then are assigned to groups to write up analyses. You may like the group learning assignments as working on a team allows the team to let the best writer be the composing of the assignments while others may do research or contribute ideas. In addition you take exams online which are less writing intense and more about objective assessment of retained knowledge.

You will have to compare online MBA programs on this factor.

Not all MBA schools say up front how the instruction occurs or what assessment methods they use.

Vicky

gelali posted this 04 January 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Thanks Vicky,

I think taking the GMAT will open up more choices for me:

1. Any recommendations regarding materials to study for the GMAT?

2. How long should I dedicate for GMAT?

Thanks

Tariq

VickyPhillips posted this 04 January 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi Tariq,

Yes, if you don't need a MBA online with no GMAT then you can double your choices by looking at all program options.

My friends tell me the best free GMAT test prep software comes from the people who make the administer the GMAT itself. GMATPrep software practice tests are free to registered users of mba.com, GO: http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-free-test-preparation-software/ This free software will help you prepare for the GMAT® exam.

GMATPrep software uses the same technology as the official GMAT exam so you can simulate the actual test-taking experience. By doing this you will see if there are weak areas you might want tutoring on or more expanded review of on the exam.

The GMATPrep software features:

90 free questions – 30 Quantitative, 45 Verbal and 15 Integrated Reasoning -  with answers and explanations
Tools to create your own practice set
2 full-length computer adaptive practice tests with answers 
Accurate computing of GMAT® Total, Verbal, Quantitative and Integrated Reasoning scores, which you can use to judge how prepared you are for the actual GMAT exam
A comprehensive math review
A step-by-step guide to preparing for the GMAT® exam

If you LIKE the free experience you can purchase from them upgrades to get more of the same.

How long you should study for the GMAT will depend on the results of the pratice tests. These tests will help you diagnose where to focus for more your test prep --- if you need it. You may do so well on the practice tests your scores will be decent enough to take the real exam fairly fast.

Good Luck!

If you find other good resources let us know.

Vicky

GurkiratGGI posted this 25 May 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

I am same like you and deciding from a lot of years that to start the MBA from online..

So many other friends suggested here good ways that how can i choose MBA for me while doing my job..

ksaylor posted this 19 September 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Depending on your specific undergraduate background you may not have to take all the required courses. My university requires certain prerequisites for our MBA program that don't necessarily cross over to all disciplines outside of business. It just depends on how your general education requirements and electives were structured.

Also, depending on your emphasis, you may or may not have to do as much writing. Most general MBA courses, such as management or marketing, require more writing as opposed to information systems, or accounting classes. It also depends on the professors. I know some professors who prefer projects, and hands-on activities as opposed to research papers. Looking at some syllabi for courses at your prospective program choices would be best to get a feeling of how classes are structured.

I think in choosing a program you've got a good start. It's important to know how you learn best, and how an online classroom will fit your learning style. You may also want to consider what you want out of the program in the end. Are you going through a program just for the degree or are you looking at the connections and networking possibilities with professors and classmates as well? Looking at all those options and seeing what fits your lifestyle is what is most important.