Transferring Credits

• Last Post 03 June 2014
Buomer posted this 25 December 2013 - Last edited 26 February 2016

How do I apply my diploma credit towards a bachelor degree in addition to using my work experience as credit also ?

2 Comments
Kayleigh posted this 06 January 2014 - Last edited 25 October 2015

Hi there,

Great question!

There are a lot of factors that make a difference when transferring old college credits towards a new degree.

• Accreditation - The accreditation of the school you earned your diploma from will determine which schools will likely accept your transfer credits. Transfer credits from schools that are regionally accredited are the most widely accepted.

• GPA - Most schools will accept transfer courses that carry a grade of "C" or better. However, some schools require a slightly higher GPA.

See more factors that affect credit transfer.

You also mention the desire to earn life or work experience credit. Be careful when looking for schools that claim to accept life experience credit— scams are rampant!

Learn how to protect yourself from life experience degree scams.

Thankfully there are a number of fully accredited, reputable online schools that work with adult students to turn life experience into college credit. Thomas Edison State College, Western Governors University, and Excelsior University are all great options.

See more on how to earn a real life experience degree.

Keep in mind that these schools will still require you to complete a substantial 'chunk' of your bachelors degree at that school. You will not be able to earn a degree exclusively from your transfer and life experience credit.

Best of luck!

Kayleigh
GetEducated.com

Get Educated Before You Enroll

1peterrr20 posted this 03 June 2014 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Thank you for sharing this information. It is very useful for me.