How to Get 24 College Credits Fast

• Last Post 25 June 2013
peteradavis posted this 03 June 2013 - Last edited 26 February 2016

I am 24 credits away from earning my BS Degree from a major Big 10 university. I am a career executive and have over 25 years of sales and marketing experience with blue chip brands. I need to earn college credits towards my degree the fastest way possible. I would like to enroll at an accredited online school that will give me the credits to graduate towards my degree for the many successful years and professional track record in business. Any recommendations?

3 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 03 June 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi Peter,

Why not just complete your BS degree at your current university if you are only 24 credits away from earning a degree? I ask bcs. completing at your current school is going to be the fastest least expensive way if you are at that close and if there are no extenuating circumstances ...

If you answer the following I will try and focus your search for another college also >

What college were/are you enrolled in?

What specific type / major of BS degree were you working toward? Example: BS in general studies? BS in business administration?

Were all your credits earned in the last few years or are they older than that?

Do you have any current credits that were not awarded based on formal course completion? For example, do you have college transcript credits that were awarded based on taking competency exams like the CLEP or on military service award credits?

When did you last take formal college courses?

All the Best Vicky

peteradavis wrote: [quote]I am 24 credits away from earning my BS Degree from a major Big 10 university. I am a career executive and have over 25 years of sales and marketing experience with blue chip brands. I need to earn college credits towards my degree the fastest way possible. I would like to enroll at an accredited online school that will give me the credits to graduate towards my degree for the many successful years and professional track record in business. Any recommendations?[/quote]

jblackburn34 posted this 24 June 2013 - Last edited 25 October 2015

The University of Alabama Online offers a BS or BA in Interdisciplinary Studies (New College Lifetrack)online. You can earn college credit from some of your work experience if it meets specifications by faculty review, plus you can design your own major as you complete your last 24 credits. Check out: University of Alabama B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies and Leadership

VickyPhillips posted this 25 June 2013 - Last edited 25 October 2015

HI J,

Thanks for the suggestion at the University of Alabama.

View rankings and reviews of the U of Alabama bachelor's program

The program from the University of Alabama has some limits that are typical for a 4 year regionally accredited college bachelor completion that may impact Peter:

1) A campus visit is required to Alabama to begin this degree program;

2) What are the prior learning credit limits? There is a limit of 30 hours (1/4 of degree) prior learning portfolio credit that any one student can earn. There is also a 45 hour cumulative credit limit for all types of prior learning credit which includes ACE credit, CLEP, AP credit, DANTES credit and portfolio evaluation.

Can prior learning credit be used anywhere in my curriculum? Prior learning credit can be placed in any of the core requirement areas, in the Depth Study or as elective credit. Portfolio credit may NOT be applied to the Senior Project.

3) Because LifeTrack differs from a program that issues professional certification, no more than 30 semester hours of credit from a professional school (College/Schools of Engineering, Education, Business Administration, etc.) may apply toward a degree through LifeTrack.

This is an interdisciplinary liberal arts degrees so there are a lot of credits requited in liberal arts areas AND very accepted from the above "professional" areas.

This type of bachelors completion can work well for students who have a lot of liberal arts credits to transfer and/or want to take more upper level liberal arts but may not work well for students who were business admin, education or engineering majors before.

Compare the degree course distribution requirements to see how they fit next to your existing transcripted credits to see if this program would be a good completion program.

Mostly likely you would need about 45-60 new credits to transfer into such a program unless your old studies were heavy in the liberal arts.

All the Best

Vicky