Is Northwestern Theological Seminary Real?

• 3.1K Views
  • Last Post 27 July 2014
hdr posted this 24 August 2012 - Last edited 25 February 2016

Hello, Is the online college Northwest Theological Seminary 'accredited'? Can I transfer their credits to another school? Thank you.

7 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 24 August 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi HDR,

Can you tell us the exact name of the school and where it is located?

Did you mean "northwestern" or is "norwester" correct?

There are SEVERAL schools with names like Northwester Theological Seminary, all operating at different locations in the USA and Europe with different types of accreditation, state approval and/or licensing.

I need to make sure WHICH theological school you are referencing so I do the same in responding to your degree mill query.

Thanks! Vicky Phillips

hdr wrote: [quote][size=4][/size]Hello, Is this 'accredited' online college accredited whereby I can transfer their credits? Thankyou[/quote]

hdr posted this 28 August 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Northwestern, Andersonville Seminary and Freedom Bible College are three I'm looking at, but are only accredited as 'christian education non-profits', I have found out....

vicky posted this 02 September 2012 - Last edited 22 October 2015

Hi HDR,

Yes, the seminary schools you mention do NOT hold regional accreditation.

To understand what accreditation means, which are the vslid agencies, and how that will impact your transfer credit status late see our FAQ on college accreditation and online learning.

To find out more about online theology and seminary schools try Baker's Guide to Christian Distance Education. Dr. Jason Baker, who runs this guide, would be the best person to guide you in selecting options for christian online learning and degrees.

Dr, Baker's Christian Online Degree Directory features over 650 online undergraduate and graduate degrees from over 125 Christian colleges and universities, Bible colleges, and theological seminaries. This is the best source for more info on the types of online theology or ministry degrees you seek.

Liberty University is another reputable option. 

Good Luck!

Vicky Phillips
Founder - GetEducated.com

regretfulexperience posted this 12 February 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

BE CAREFUL ABOUT ATTENDING NTS I completed an undergrad degree in Biblical Studies from Northwestern Theological Seminary in 2010. I chose the seminary because I was looking for an inexpensive, self-paced Bible degree. Here are some things I wish I had know before I enrolled at NTS:

1) NTS Administration is very inefficient for alumni. The year I graduated from the NTS I requested a transcript to be sent to a job I was applying for. It took six months for them to send the transcript, and it was only sent after I threatened legal action against the seminary.
Two years after I graduated I still did not have a diploma, so I requested a diploma and transcripts as I was applying to be a minister. I followed up on this initial request for two months via email, fax, phone, and snail-mail with no reply. Only after threatening LEGAL ACTION did they respond and say they would send the documents. Almost two more months passed with no documents. I contacted a lawyer, who contacted them, with no reply. Finally, after 3 months, and 27 separate requests, they sent a diploma...but NOT the transcripts and to the WRONG address (they mailed it to the address they had on records, rather than the address I had included in every request I had sent them). 2) I still have not received the transcripts and it has been 4 months and counting.

When I first emailed them this internet posting, so they could verify its accuracy, they responded by threatening to sue me for libel (everything I have said is true, so they can't) and threatening to give me an unsatisfactory grade on my transcripts in the area of Christian citizenship. After a slew of communications from them denouncing this proposed internet posting, they have once again stopped communicating with me. Let the buyer beware

VickyPhillips posted this 15 February 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

That's all very unfortunate.

As I said Northwestern Theological is not accredited. That makes it difficult to tell if they employ any standard practices for student records and assessment. One of the downsides of attending an unaccredited school is that they are not bound to standards or external review for record keeping, grading, and so on. This puts grads at high risk for the schools disappearing leaving students with no access to records post graduation.

Perhaps others will chime in if they have had experiences with this seminary online.

All the best Vicky

regretfulexperience wrote: [quote]BE CAREFUL ABOUT ATTENDING NTS I completed an undergrad degree in Biblical Studies from Northwestern Theological Seminary in 2010. I chose the seminary because I was looking for an inexpensive, self-paced Bible degree. Here are some things I wish I had know before I enrolled at NTS:

1) NTS Administration is very inefficient for alumni. The year I graduated from the NTS I requested a transcript to be sent to a job I was applying for. It took six months for them to send the transcript, and it was only sent after I threatened legal action against the seminary.
Two years after I graduated I still did not have a diploma, so I requested a diploma and transcripts as I was applying to be a minister. I followed up on this initial request for two months via email, fax, phone, and snail-mail with no reply. Only after threatening LEGAL ACTION did they respond and say they would send the documents. Almost two more months passed with no documents. I contacted a lawyer, who contacted them, with no reply. Finally, after 3 months, and 27 separate requests, they sent a diploma...but NOT the transcripts and to the WRONG address (they mailed it to the address they had on records, rather than the address I had included in every request I had sent them). 2) I still have not received the transcripts and it has been 4 months and counting.

When I first emailed them this internet posting, so they could verify its accuracy, they responded by threatening to sue me for libel (everything I have said is true, so they can't) and threatening to give me an unsatisfactory grade on my transcripts in the area of Christian citizenship. After a slew of communications from them denouncing this proposed internet posting, they have once again stopped communicating with me. Let the buyer beware[/quote]

Bishop posted this 18 February 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

MODERATOR'S NOTE: The post below was edited prior to posting. Please do not make personal attacks and threats when posting. When responding to another member just state the facts. Well-stated facts speak for themselves;

Mr. Lubbers:

Concerning your comments against NTS: I STRONGLY URGE YOU TO RECONSIDER these statements ON YOUR PART.

After reading your mails, I am appalled at your fleshly, mean spirited behavior as reflected in the numerous exaggerations that you are using. Please note below in BOLD my response to each exaggeration. I will itemize and follow your statements with the TRUTH in Bold, below.

Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:24 AM Subject: Internet Postings against NTS

As you are probably aware, there are a lot of websites wondering if NTS is a legitimate seminary.

FALSE.. THERE ARE NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN A LOT OR MANY WEBSITES QUESTIONING THE LEGITIMACY OF NTS. THIS IS A LIE AND EXTREME EXAGGERATION.

As mentioned previously, instead of pursuing a legal route to bring justice to NTS and let people know some of the disadvantages of attending, I am posting on the Internet to alert people of NTS' extremely inefficient administration structure.

FALSE.. YOU HAD NO LEGAL RECOURSE SINCE THERE WAS NO CRIMINAL INTENT OR LIBELOUS BEHAVIOR ON THE PART OF NTS AND NO GROUNDS FOR A LAWSUIT. YOU WERE JUST ATTEMPTING TO MANIPULATE THE SEMINARY. NTS HAS A VERY EFFICIENT ADMINISTRATIVE STRUCTURE. NOW YOU ARE THREATENING TO POST YOUR FALSE STATEMENT ATTACKING NTS ON THE INTERNET WHICH IS GROUNDS FOR A LAWSUIT FORM NTS AS YOU ARE NOW LIABLE FOR DEFAMATION OF AN ORGANIZATION

Please check the below statements for accuracy.

Mr. Lubbers: I have itemized and posted the truth to counter your lies and false allegations below. Sincerely, Bishop; HM Sarkela

"BE CAREFUL ABOUT ATTENDING NTS! I completed a Ba.Th. in Biblical Studies from Northwestern Theological Seminary in 2010. I chose the seminary because I was looking for an inexpensive, self-paced Bible degree. Here are three things I wish someone had told me before I enrolled at NTS:

DECEPTIVE STATEMENT; YOU ENROLLED IN A DUAL DEGREE PROGRAM REQUIRING COMPLETION OF BOTH DEGREES AND PAYMENT OF THE FULL TUITION FOR BOTH DEGREES, PRIOR TO ANY DEGREE AWARD. IN 2012 WE CHANGED THIS POLICY AND ALLOWED YOU TO CHANGE YOUR PROGRAM TO A SINGLE DEGREE PROGRAM AND WE DID AWARD YOUR DEGREE. IINCIDENTALLY YOUR DEGREE AWARD WAS A B.TH.. THERE IS NO SUCH DEGREE AS A Ba.Th. ?

1) The actual program is average, You get what you pay for.

DECEPTIVE STATEMENT: HOW MANY THEOLOGICAL DEGREE PROGRAMS HAVE YOU PARTICIPATED IN TO COMPARE US TO IN ORDER TO CALL US AVERAGE? HAVE YOU READ OUR ARCHIVE OF STUDENT TESTIMONIALS? DO YOU NOT KNOW THAT MANY ARE VERY IMPRESSED WITH OUR EDUCATIONAL STANDARDS AND THAT WE HAVE NUMEROUS STUDENTS AND ALUMNI WHO HAVE COME TO US FROM MAJOR INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER LEARNING SUCH AS LIBERTY UNIVERSITY ETC?

2) Administration is extremely negligent and inefficient for alumni. Two years after I graduated I still did not have a diploma, so I requested a diploma and transcripts as I was applying to be a minister. I followed up for two months via email, fax, phone, and snail-mail with no reply. Only after threatening LEGAL ACTION did they respond and say they would send the documents. Almost two more months past with no documents. I contacted a lawyer, who contacted them, with no reply. Finally, after 3 months, and 27 separate requests, they sent a diploma...NO transcripts and to the WRONG address (wrong city, in fact).

DECEPTIVE: YOU PASS JUDGMENT BASED ON FALSE ASSUMPTION. NTS IS A VERY REFINED AND EFFICIENT EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM. AGAIN, YOU KNOW THAT YOU DID NOT GRADUATE AS YOU WERE ONLY 1/2 DONE WITH YOUR DUAL DEGREE PROGRAM (ONCE AGAIN A VERY DECEPTIVE STATEMENT). POLICY CHANGED IN 2012 AND WE DID AWARD YOUR BACHELOR DEGREE. IN ANOTHER E-MAIL FORM YOU, YOU STATED THAT WE DID NOT RESPOND TO YOUR LEGAL THREAT SENT BY YOUR FRIEND AS YOUR ATTORNEY. NOW YOU STATE THAT WE DID RESPOND?? WHICH IS IT? WE RESPONDED TO YOUR FALSE ASSUMPTIONS AND BASELESS ALLEGATIONS WHICH HELD NO LEGAL MERIT FOR ANY FORM OF LAWSUIT. YOU ARE THE ONE WHO WILL NO BECOME LIABLE IF YOU PUBLICLY POST THE LIES THAT YOU HAVE SENT IN THIS E-MAIL AS THEY ARE LIBELOUS THROUGH MALICIOUS ATTACKS BASED ON FALSEHOOD AND DECEPTION WHICH WE CAN PROVE THOUGH OUR RECORDS CLEARLY DOCUMENTING EACH. YOU DID NOT GRADUATE AS YOU WERE ENROLLED IN A DUAL DEGREE PROGRAM WHICH REQUIRED COMPLETION OF BOTH DEGREES PRIOR TO GRADUATION. YOU KNEW THIS AS DID EVERY OTHER STUDENT ENROLLED IN A DUAL DEGREE PROGRAM AT NTS. GRADUATION DOES NOT OCCUR UNTIL BOTH DEGREES WERE COMPLETED AND THE TUITION WAS PAID IN FULL. YOU DID NOT COMPLETE BOTH PROGRAMS OR PAY TUITION FOR BOTH DEGREES IN FULL. WE LATER CHANGED THIS POLICY AND AWARDED YOUR B.Th. DEGREE. ALMOST 2-MONTHS DID NOT PASS. YES, SOME WEEKS PASSED BECAUSE NTS LIKE ALL OTHER SCHOOLS WERE CLOSED FOR THE HOLIDAYS OF CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEARS/ STUDENT BREAK. (AGAIN A MANIPULATIVE DECEPTIVE ATTACK BASED ON FALSEHOOD). FINALLY ONCE MORE, THERE ARE YOUR LIES AGAIN; AFTER SAYING WE DID RESPOND TO YOUR LEGAL THREAT, YOU THEN GO ON TO SAY THAT WE DID NOT RESPOND TO YOUR LEGAL THREATS, WHEN YOU ALREADY SAID THAT WE DID RESPOND?? FINALLY, YOUR DEGREE WAS MAILED TO YOUR ADDRESS OF RECORD. EVERY STUDENT KNOWS THAT IT IS THEIR RESPONSIBILITY TO UPDATE THEIR STUDENT RECORDS WHEN THEY CHANGE POSTAL ADDRESS. YOU DID NOT COMPLY AND THEN ATTACK US FOR MAILING TO YOUR ADDRESS OF RECORD.

3) I still have not received the transcripts and have been delayed in entering ministry because of this.

DECEPTIVE STATEMENT: EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED TO SEND TRANSCRIPTS TO STUDENTS/GRADUATES. TRANSCRIPTS ARE SENT ONLY BASED ON THE REQUEST OF A 3RD PARTY BE IT A POTNETIAL MINISTRY EMPLOYER OR EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION ETC.

All that to say, if you want to pay someone to help you to read textbooks and write papers, NTS might be for you. If you want a degree...it might not be for you."

YOU KNOW THAT WE HAVE DONE FAR MORE GOOD, IN ATTEMPTING TO PROVIDE A QUALITY, CHRIST CENTERED, SEMINARY EDUCATION FOR YOU, THAN YOU HAVE STATED ABOVE.

Sincerely, Joshua Lubbers

[b]I DEMAND AN APOLOGY..

WE WILL FORGIVE YOU, BUT YOU NEED TO REALIZE THAT WE HAVE FULFILLED OUR OBLIGATION TO YOU AS A STUDENT.

POSTING ON THE INTERNET WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE ACTION ON OUR PART. WE WILL EITHER CANCEL YOUR DEGREE, OR NOTE APPROPRIATELY IN YOUR TRANSCRIPTS AS TO YOUR POOR SELF CONTROL, LACK OF SPIRITUAL MATURITY, INABILITY TO RELATE RESPECTFULLY TO AUTHORITY ETC, ETC..

NTS HAS FULLY COMPLIED AND FULFILLED ALL OBLIGATIONS TO YOU AS A FORMER STUDENT OF NTS AND NOW AN NTS ALUMNI. [/b]

In Christ, Bishop; Howard M. Sarkela CAM/ WCJC/ NTS/ NCU

laurajedlick posted this 27 July 2014 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Where you ever able to get your transcripts? I am running into the same problem.