Nationally Accredited MBA: Pros & Cons

• Last Post 02 January 2015
meganp1130 posted this 14 December 2014 - Last edited 25 February 2016

I've been researching a lot of schools concerning online MBA programs. Since cost is a huge factor for me, I've found several nationally accredited schools that I'm considering. I've read that regionally accredited schools are typically a bit more reputable and the credits are more easily transferred and recognized by other schools. However, since this is my Masters and I'm not planning on going on to get a Ph.D, is it worth it to pay extra for a regional accreditation?

Do employers care at all about where the degree came from?

I'll most likely be choosing a smaller school that is not well known so I don't think anyone would know the accreditation unless they took the time to research.

1 Comments
Kayleigh posted this 02 January 2015 - Last edited 22 October 2015

Hello,

Great question.

While it's true that many nationally accredited MBA programs can be cheaper than regionally accredited, there are MANY affordable regionally accredited MBAs (that may even be cheaper than some of the nationally accredited ones you are looking at).

GetEducated publishes exclusive regional MBA cost rankings giving consumers real information on the best affordable degrees out there.

Have you considered Wayne State College or Amberton University?

Both of these schools offer online MBA programs that are regionally accredited for less than $9,000 (including fees!).

Amberton's Graduate School of Business also offers 4 different MBA degrees to choose from.

But back to your original question—employers DO care where your online degree came from.

There are three primary factors that employers consider when evaluating the quality and prestige of an online degree: 

• Is the school regionally accredited? Is the business school AACSB accredited?
  • Is the college more than 300 miles from where you live? Is it a well-known brand?
  • Does the school have a residential campus?

If the answer to some or all of these questions is 'No' you may encounter some hesitation from potential employers.

More info:

SEE: Regional Accreditation vs. National Accreditation
SEE: Do Employers Respect Online Degrees?

So, as you can see, it's not just accreditation that matters and employers will respect a degree whose brand they feel more familiar with.

If you choose to attend a small, not well-known school that is nationally accredited some employers may not give your MBA as much clout.

If you still feel this is the best option for you contact some recent grads of your chosen MBA program on LinkedIn and see how they are fairing in the job market.

Best of luck!

Kayleigh
GetEducated.com
Get Educated BEFORE You Enroll