Transferring Colleges Without Transcripts?

• Last Post 29 November 2012
worriedapp posted this 28 November 2012 - Last edited 26 February 2016

Long story short: UC applications are due in two days. I am hoping to take many online courses to complete a bachelors degree (since I work a lot). I submitted a request for an unofficial transcript from my old private 4-year university (from 6-7 years ago) weeks and weeks ago. As I filled out my application last night with grades from my current CC (IGETC) that I've been at for 2 years, I realized I never got my other one. I wrote in my personal statements and the question about other comments that I've been to another school - that I did poorly because of extreme personal problems but now have a 4.0 at my new school. I sent in a new request for an official transcript to be sent to my UCs. Side note: I have also recently applied to my old school for expungement of records/academic renewal so that my record can be wiped. The problem: Is it okay to leave the school grades/classes (I honestly cannot remember them at all) off the application as long as I mentioned them in my personal statements and sent a formal transcript? I'm worried sick and since it's so close to the deadline I can't get anyone that knows the answer on the phone or get a reply via email. Please help me.

1 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 29 November 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi Worried,

I am not sure I understand your question. Is UC the University of California Online?

What is IGETC?

It sounds like you are transfering credits from 2 previous colleges to a 4 year college? And that you made poor grades at the first community college you attended? And that you are trying to get that fist college to delete or remove these poor grades?

If this is a correct assessment you should mention all this in your application. The "reasons" why your records were poor at the first school will be of interest to your new 4 year school UC?). Your new school will REQUIRE official transcripts from all previous schools you attended so the will see and use all those old grades in calculating your transfer GPA (grade point average) and admission standing. If your total transfer GPA is below 2-2.5 you may be admitted but only provisionally pending getting good grades at your new school the first semester.

Your new school will use all your old grades in calculating your transfer GPA and standing so you should mention all your old grades and any special circumstances in your admissions to the new school. You will not be able to hide this BUT if you have good reasons you may, as I said, get provisional admission and a chance to proove yourself at your new school.

If you can get those bad grades officially removed for some reason then that would be best BUT it sounds like there is not time to have that done officially s you will need to explain those grades and work with the new school based on their existence on your official transcripts at this time.

Many people recover from poor academic performance and earn 4 year degrees. It sounds like your performance has improved over the years so make that clear om your application so the admissions people can take that into account.

Good Luck! Vicky Phillips GetEducated.com

worriedapp wrote: [quote]Long story short: UC applications are due in two days. I am hoping to take many online courses to complete a bachelor's degree (since I work a lot).

I submitted a request for an unofficial transcript from my old private 4-year university (from 6-7 years ago) weeks and weeks ago. As I filled out my application last night with grades from my current CC (IGETC) that I've been at for 2 years, I realized I never got my other one. I wrote in my personal statements and the question about other comments that I've been to another school - that I did poorly because of extreme personal problems but now have a 4.0 at my new school. I sent in a new request for an official transcript to be sent to my UCs.

Side note: I have also recently applied to my old school for expungement of records/academic renewal so that my record can be wiped.

The problem: Is it okay to leave the school grades/classes (I honestly cannot remember them at all) off the application as long as I mentioned them in my personal statements and sent a formal transcript? I'm worried sick and since it's so close to the deadline I can't get anyone that knows the answer on the phone or get a reply via email. Please help me.[/quote]