Freelance Writing Pay

• Last Post 03 October 2013
chief posted this 02 October 2013 - Last edited 26 February 2016

Recently, I have discovered the existence of businesses which provide freelance writing jobs. The company pays around $8.00 or so for a small essay and up from there. Is it really worth it to put in applications with my best original samples of writing to such outfits? Has anyone ever tried doing this type of writing? How hard is it to find legit online employers? What are the best of them with well paying? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

2 Comments
Merki posted this 02 October 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Well, I know people who supplement their income with it. But for me salary is low.

$8 for a very short essay! Even if I only spend 15 minutes on research, sit down and write it, rewrite it and edit it, it could easily take 2 hours, and you really must include your time to make the contact for the job and to deliver the piece. I'm not writing for $4 an hour.

Cruising through the internet, it sure looks like some "writers" are simply lifting entire pieces and reselling those (plagiarism).

I don't even see how you could write a short article in 2 hours unless it was in your field of expertise and you didn't have to do any research. Googling the topic and using cut and paste doesn't count as research.

The people who are paying $8 do not care if the article is informative.

I still have a folder of resources and sites geared towards content writing. I'll be happy to share if you

GeeMortenson posted this 03 October 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

I agree that the 8 dollars - it's chump change that would pay less than watering a few plants for someone on vacation or pet sitting. I think that I'd be more lucky with pitching my stories to local newspapers and tourist magazines.