CLEP Exam Credits

• Last Post 04 April 2012
jewell posted this 04 April 2012 - Last edited 24 February 2016

The school I'm trying to enroll in is telling me that the below is what I will need to enroll in their progrom.

English Composition or English Composition with Essay must be taken and a score of at least 50 must be obtained. In addition, two other examinations, each designed to correspond to semester courses of 6 semester hours each, or four other examinations, each designed to correspond to semester courses of 3 semester hours each, can be selected from any of the following subjects: Composition and Literature (Humanities Examination Only) Foreign Languages History and Social Sciences Science and Mathematics Business

I get the Eng. Comp etc. but what I don't get is the courses that are 6 or 3 semester hours. I would prefer to do the two other exams (6 hours).

Can someone tell me what courses on the CLEP Lists are 6 hours or how to find the hours per course. Thks.

1 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 04 April 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi Jewell,

Courses that are 3 credits correspond to and cover what is taught in one semester of a course topic -- For example the Intro to Psychology CLEP (a social science) is based on freshman psych offered for one semester and so it awards 3 credits.

Courses that are 6 credits correspond to and cover what is taught in two semesters of a course topic -- For example the English Literature CLEP covers what is commonly taught in 2 semesters of English Lit and so it awards 6 semester credits.

If you look at any one CLEP exam's description -- GO http://clep.collegeboard.org/exam -- you will SEE in the description of each exam the number of college credits and whether the test covers 1 or 2 semesters of study.

The college you are working with should also be able to tell you how many credits go with each CLEP test title. If not, look on the college board site and this will tell you.

Vicky Phillips Founder - Get Educated (and former CLEP test taker from long ago)

jewell wrote: [quote]The school I'm trying to enroll in is telling me that the below is what I will need to enroll in their progrom. I get the Eng. Comp etc. but what I don't get is the courses that are 6 or 3 semester hours. I would prefer to do the two other exams (6 hours). Can someone tell me what courses on the CLEP Lists are 6 hours or how to find the hours per course. Thks.

Below

[i]English Composition or English Composition with Essay must be taken and a score of at least 50 must be obtained. In addition, two other examinations, each designed to correspond to semester courses of 6 semester hours each, or four other examinations, each designed to correspond to semester courses of 3 semester hours each, can be selected from any of the following subjects:

Composition and Literature (Humanities Examination Only)

Foreign Languages

History and Social Sciences

Science and Mathematics

Business[/i][/quote]