• Last Post 08 July 2012
bigmak5 posted this 10 September 2011 - Last edited 24 February 2016

In new york can i get a ged online?

8 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 11 September 2011 - Last edited 06 August 2015

bigmak5 wrote:

In new york can i get a ged online?

Hello BigMak5,

For information on GED test prep in New York visit the New York State Department of Education official NY GED prep site. The GED program is administered by county in New York, so you need to select the county where you live and contact that office for assistance on the GED program in your area.

Be careful out there.

There are a lot of degree mills and for-profit GED services that market online. You cannot take the GED online from any legitimate source.

Get advice from your state department of education before enrolling in any GED prep services program.

Alternatively, call Call (800) 62-MY-GED for a referral to an approved real local GED preparation program or testing site.

For more consumer information you can trust on the GED visit the American Council on Education's official site on the GED and read the consumer warnings about GET degree mills and scams.

All the Best Vicky

bigmak5 posted this 11 September 2011 - Last edited 06 August 2015

What about can i get a college degree online without a ged or hs diploma?

VickyPhillips posted this 11 September 2011 - Last edited 21 October 2015

It would be unusual to apply to earn a college degree without first having a GED or high school diploma in the USA. FYI: 98% of all colleges accept the GED rather than a high school diploma for admissions.

There are two real online colleges that may admit you without a GED or high school diploma: Excelsior College Distance Learning of New York, the adult alternative college of NY, also MAY admit SOME applicants who do not hold a high school diploma or GED.

Charter Oak State College of CT, for example, is a special college for adult learners and they do NOT require applicants to hold any high school credential. The Charter Oak distance learning programs says: "Admission is open to any person 16 years or older, regardless of level of formal education, who has earned nine acceptable college-level credits." Many Charter Oak students enter with significant career experience, military certifications and corporate training and / or passing scores on CLEP exams. In both cases these colleges specialize in working with older students who have advanced learning in their career or specialty areas.

Click here for more on credit for life experience college options.

Be careful! Internet colleges who advertise "online degrees with no GED or high school" are usually degree mill scams; and there are dozens of these that advertise heavily using this come on.

Try Excelsior or Charter Oak as both are real regionally accredited distance learning colleges.

Good Luck

Vicky

bigmak5 posted this 12 September 2011 - Last edited 06 August 2015

I don't mean to bug you and thanks for the past responses but i was wondering if it were possible to do this type of program were you take college courses to earn a ged http://www.sunyrockland.edu/prospective-students/ged
online with this program http://www.sunyrockland.edu/academics/elearning

Thanks in advance

VickyPhillips posted this 12 September 2011 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hello BigMak5,

This would be a great program if you meet the requirements -- which include passing basic assessment test in math and English -- and can attend the necessary orientation and meetings at Rockland Community College.

Rockland is a part of the state university system of New York and it would a great advantage if you could take the 24 credits and then be eligible for the GED while using the same credits / courses as a foundation for your associates degree. Also, very affordable compared to other options if you are in New York and eligible.

I would ask admissions how much time will be required on campus. I am not sure that this can be down through elearning or that all the courses for this special program can be done this way.

Thanks for helping me get educated by posting this program. It's a great resource for others in new York to know about.

Vicky

bigmak5 wrote: [quote]I don't mean to bug you and thanks for the past responses but i was wondering if it were possible to do this type of program were you take college courses to earn a ged http://www.sunyrockland.edu/prospective-students/ged
online with this program http://www.sunyrockland.edu/academics/elearning

Thanks in advance[/quote]

Pattinson posted this 15 December 2011 - Last edited 06 August 2015

GED tests are a group of five tests which (when passed) certifies that the taker has American or Canadian high school-level academic skills. To pass the GED Tests and earn a GED credential, test takers must score higher than 40 percent of graduating high school seniors nationwide.

It's more or less the equivalency of a high school diploma.

reenarashid posted this 05 July 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

i want to earn high school ged ,online what site u recomend im from long island suffolk county . i have done HS GED from my country which is not valuable here plz guide

ria

VickyPhillips posted this 08 July 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi Ria,

You will have to go to a campus to take the FREE GED prep courses offered at your local community college. Below is a page from the Suffolk Community College GED site. They offer a free program, which welcomes international students through their ACCESS Center. You can use some online or web prep tools BUT you will need to contact Suffolk to get the full program requirements. Again, this GED program is FREE.

----> Suffolk County NY - Suffolk Community College - FREE GED

If you do not have a high school diploma, Suffolk County Community College can serve you in several ways.

Through the Ability to Benefit program, you may qualify for admission to a degree program, be eligible for financial aid, and eventually achieve a NYS High School Equivalency Diploma. Suffolk also offers a variety of courses in reading, English, and math which are designed to help you improve your academic skills and prepare you for success in college-level courses.

Suffolk offers a GED/Literacy Prep for College program through the SCCC ACCESS Center. This free program prepares you for the General Educational Development (GED) test by providing self-paced instruction customized to your skill level.

We will assist you to follow the right path based on standardized test scores from the college's placement tests. To get started, you may apply online or, if you prefer, you may obtain an application from any Suffolk County high school guidance office, from Central Admissions, or you can download it. If you have other questions about any of these programs contact Central Admissions. International Student

Our current International Student community, numbering over 500, comes from many different parts of the world. We regard every international student as a valued member of our truly diverse college community and we are committed to working with each student individually in order to help all students successfully achieve their goals.

Good Luck on Your GED! Let us know if/when you pass the test.

Vicky

reenarashid wrote: [quote]i want to earn high school ged ,online what site u recomend im from long island suffolk county . i have done HS GED from my country which is not valuable here plz guide

ria[/quote]