Belford University Scam

• Last Post 04 October 2013
smitty_sca posted this 23 August 2012 - Last edited 25 February 2016

I got a degree thru these people years back and believed it was accredited. I am now being contacted by them to "legalize" my diploma. It was illegal? Anyways, they are claiming they are accredited through the US Dept of State and I need to get my diploma legalized through the Dept of State and it will be recognized as accredited by any university in us, canada or globally. The fee to have this done is reduced until the end of the month. Is this possible?

11 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 23 August 2012 - Last edited 22 October 2015

Hi Smitty,

For awhile Belford University claimed accreditation by an UNRECOGNIZED AGENCY; right now,Belford University on their website, they do state that they are NOT accredited by any agency recognized by the US Dept of Education; that is TRUE.

That apostille is another issue altogether .. The Apostille, Accreditation, and Degree Mills Degree mills use many terms in their efforts to confuse consumers.

They want people, like you, to believe that these terms mean the same thing as "accredited" or "legal." They do not.

One of the terms degree mills love to use is "apostille." Another is "notarized." Neither of these terms mean the same thing as "accredited" and neither term has anything to do with certifying that the college itself that awarded said documents/diploma is legal or real in any country.

An apostille is a certification or notarization, usually by a government agency, that the document you want to present to someone in another foreign country -- say a potential employer -- is a true and accurate copy of the original document you are showing them in your home country.

An agency officer in one country looks at a document and compares it to a copy of that document. If the two documents are the same he attaches a seal or apostille. It is roughly the equivalent process of a notarized document in the USA.

Say you have a PHD from a college in a foreign country like Pakistan and you want to apply for a job in another country, like Canada. You would not send them (or anyone) your original degree / diploma. You would make a copy of your diploma and transcripts, take them to have them compared and an apostille placed on them by an officer at the Consulate in your country.

A consular agent might verify (apostile) that the copy you are about to send is an accurate copy of the original diploma or some other document.

An apostille or notarized signature does NOT certify or attest to the fact that any document or the institution that granted it -- in this case Belford -- is real.

The apostille or notary simply certifies that the copy, which is being apostilled, is an accurate copy of the original document they have seen and looked at.

The apostille is another scam that diploma mills use to try and get MORE money from their graduates. Keep your wallet closed.

An apostille will not make your degree legal, and has nothing at all to do with accreditation.

All the Best

Vicky Phillips

g-gollin posted this 04 September 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Belford University, Belford High School, et al. have been ordered to pay the plaintiffs $22,783,500 in  a class action suit brought in federal district court in Michigan.

The suit came to an end with the judgment filed 8/31/12. See the case docket report here: http://www.hep.uiuc.edu/home/g-gollin/pigeons/#news . Salem Kureshi, from Pakistan, is identified as Belford's principal owner in court documents.

vicky posted this 07 September 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi George,

Thanks much for the updated news on Belford High School and their standing in the lawsuit. Your site -- referenced in your posting -- is one of the great, trusted sites on degree mill and diploma mill legal actions and lawsuits.

Thanks for all your work in this area over the years.

Hope you'll keep our readers posted on the news and your insights.

All the best Vicky Phillips

g-gollin wrote: [quote]Belford University, Belford High School, et al. have been ordered to pay the plaintiffs $22,783,500 in  a class action suit brought in federal district court in Michigan.

The suit came to an end with the judgment filed 8/31/12. See the case docket report here: http://www.hep.uiuc.edu/home/g-gollin/pigeons/#news . Salem Kureshi, from Pakistan, is identified as Belford's principal owner in court documents.[/quote]

g-gollin posted this 07 September 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

I have copies of Belford documents received by a Swedish official if anyone is interested. Please contact me at the University of Illinois.

GG

VickyPhillips posted this 09 September 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Thanks George ...

For those affected by the Belford diploma mill and degree mill lawsuit there is a good summary of the judgement and findings in the Michigan court system fining Belford over $22 million dollars for selling "fake" high school diplomas, college degrees, and GED services from Belford.

Below are some summary quotes from the press coverage:

"The business of “life experience degrees” took a blow when Pakistani businessman Salem Kureshi and his companies Belford High School and Belford University lost a $22.7 million federal class-action lawsuit earlier this year, but experts say the judgment will have only a small effect on what is a billion-dollar, international Internet scheme.

"The lawsuit, which was originally brought against belfordhighschool dot com by Flint native Carrie McCluskey, alleged that Belford High School takes students’ money by offering them an accredited high school diploma, but that Belford High School is not accredited by legitimate accreditation agencies and that the diplomas are not valid."

The Michigan court also ordered Belford High School to cease operation and transfer all six domain names that sell fakes degrees and life experience degrees -- belfordhighschool.com, belfordhighschool.org, belfordhighschool.net, belforduniversity.org, belforduniversity.net, and belfordhighschoolscam.com -- to the court.

All the best Vicky Phillips GetEducated.com

g-gollin wrote: [quote]I have copies of Belford documents received by a Swedish official if anyone is interested. Please contact me at the University of Illinois.

GG[/quote]

rogerh posted this 30 January 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Dear Dr. Golin,

Salem Kureshi's Organization for Global Learning Education still operates at least 20 known diploma mills. Belford University and Belford HS have now updated their websites to new urls. Currently functionality of the transactions are currently disabled to purchase credentials, but who knows whether that will change in the near future. Still all the diploma mills below are operational.

Ashbery University Ashwood University Cambell State University Corllins University Grendal University Headway University Hill University Lorenz University Northern Port University Mc Ford University Panworld University Rochville University, Rochville High School Ray University Walford University Western Advanced Central University Western Valley Central University Wilson State University Woodfield University, Woodfield High School

VickyPhillips posted this 30 January 2013 - Last edited 22 October 2015

Hi Roger,

Hope George will pick up and reply to your notes.

You are correct: just because a degree mill operation loses a lawsuit does NOT mean they cease operations or that they pay the damages either.

What almost all do is change their names slightly, open up under a new URL, mail documents from some new foreign country that has lax mail fraud rules, and so on.

Degree mills are a very easy -- and highly lucrative -- scam. Foreign laws and regulations make them easy scams to re-create and almost impossible to close forever.

The best thing we can all do is help the public get educated about degree mills. Most of the schools below have records in our Diploma Mill Police database to help consumers follow the chain of name changes.

You can help us stop degree mills if you have a blog or social media account, just link up here as a Diploma Mill Police affiliate.

Thanks for posting!

Vicky Phillips
Diploma Mill Police  

mmamafichani posted this 07 May 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

I am the Human Resources Manager for an International NGO called The African Comprehensive HIV/AIDS Patnerships (ACHAP) based in Botswana ( Africa). we recently interviewed a candidate who holds a degree in Psychology from Belford University. The candidate performed very well during the interviews and was being considered for employment untill we conducted a background check on him specifically on his qualification. his grades were also very good. when we searched the school on line we were shocked to see that it was unaccredited and there was no information provided to contact the university.

My question is is this a legitimate university or a degree mill like you call them?

do people actually take classed or just purchase whatever degree they can afford?

I will really appreciate your response.

best regards

Mmama

VickyPhillips posted this 07 May 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi MMana,

We have om file several other posts related to Belford University and whether it is a real university or a degree mill scam, so I have merged your question into that string so you can read the ongoing discussion.

If you cannot see that string, it is here: http://www.geteducated.com/forums/19-degree-mill/719-belford-university

In answer to your question Belford University has been declared a scam by the US Courts in the state of Michigan and ordered to pay settlements to past students in the USA and cease operation.

RE: For those affected by the Belford diploma mill and degree mill lawsuit there is a good summary of the judgement and findings in the Michigan court system fining Belford over $22 million dollars for selling "fake" high school diplomas, college degrees, and GED services from Belford.

Below are some summary quotes from the press coverage:

[i]"The business of “life experience degrees” took a blow when Pakistani businessman Salem Kureshi and his companies Belford High School and Belford University lost a $22.7 million federal class-action lawsuit earlier this year, but experts say the judgment will have only a small effect on what is a billion-dollar, international Internet scheme.

"The lawsuit, which was originally brought against belfordhighschool dot com by Flint native Carrie McCluskey, alleged that Belford High School takes students’ money by offering them an accredited high school diploma, but that Belford High School is not accredited by legitimate accreditation agencies and that the diplomas are not valid."

The Michigan court also ordered Belford High School to cease operation and transfer all six domain names that sell fakes degrees and life experience degrees -- belfordhighschool.com, belfordhighschool.org, belfordhighschool.net, belforduniversity.org, belforduniversity.net, and belfordhighschoolscam.com -- to the court.[/i]

We do have a brief consumer report on Belford also: Belford University Scam Consumer Report: http://www.geteducated.com/diploma-mill-police/degree-mills-list/belford-university-accreditation

This is not my "opinion" about Belford. It is a statement of the facts and this institution's standing with state educational agencies and as dteremined by a court of law in the United States.

Belford is not, and never has been, accredited by any agency in the USA to award college degrees. You can follow the discussion on this school here and at many other cites.

I cannot advise you as to your country's standards for accreditation or degree granting status.

All the Best Vicky Phillips

mmamafichani wrote: [quote]I am the Human Resources Manager for an International NGO called The African Comprehensive HIV/AIDS Patnerships (ACHAP) based in Botswana ( Africa). we recently interviewed a candidate who holds a degree in Psychology from Belford University. The candidate performed very well during the interviews and was being considered for employment untill we conducted a background check on him specifically on his qualification. his grades were also very good. when we searched the school on line we were shocked to see that it was unaccredited and there was no information provided to contact the university.

My question is is this a legitimate university or a degree mill like you call them?

do people actually take classed or just purchase whatever degree they can afford?

I will really appreciate your response.

best regards

Mmama[/quote]

clovis.lemes@candex.us posted this 30 September 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

I am in Brazil and was scammed... Would it be possible for me (outside of the USA) get my money back in this Class action?

Thanks,

Clovis Lemes

Kayleigh posted this 04 October 2013 - Last edited 22 October 2015

Hello Clovis,

The article about the lawsuit & ruling states:

"The ruling...reflected the approximate price of each diploma sold ($249 each), times the 30,500 U.S. students who purchased diplomas from Belford between 2003 and the time of the lawsuit."

In the future, be sure to consult the Diploma Mill Police's list of accreditation warnings if you're unsure about a school's credibility.

Best of luck!

Kayleigh
GetEducated.com