Is Ashworth College Accredited?

• Last Post 28 January 2012
E-LearneronBudget posted this 28 January 2012 - Last edited 25 February 2016

I am interested in learning more about the school Ashworth College. Thank you.

3 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 28 January 2012 - Last edited 22 October 2015

Hello E-Learner,

I am not sure why you posted the question about Ashworth College of Georgia in the degree mill section. Ashworth is a private, for-profit college that is accredited by the distance education and trade council (DETC) to award degrees.

You can read profiles and online student reviews for Ashworth College in the Get Educated college directory. To be listed on the Get Educated site a school must hold accreditation which is recognized as valid by the US Dept. of Education or CHEA.

All the Best
Vicky Phillips

E-LearneronBudget posted this 28 January 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Thank you for your reply.

I haven't heard of this school before, so I wanted to ask about it here before I spent money. I am glad to learn that this is a respected school. If I inquired in the wrong category, is there a way for me to relocate this inquiry to the proper area?

Also, will credits transfer to other schools too?

VickyPhillips posted this 28 January 2012 - Last edited 22 October 2015

Hello E-Learner,

That's okay. This category is indeed for asking about schools you may never have heard of and which you want to know about in terms of accreditation!

Your question about transfer credits is the most important question to ask about schools in terms of the different types of accreditation.

Ashworth is accredited by the DETC. The DETC is recognized by the US Dept of Ed and the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) to accredit schools that offer distance learning degrees.

The DETC is considered a national accreditation agency BUT the type of accreditation held by traditional residential colleges is called REGIONAL accreditation.

You can face severe limits on transfer credits and degree acceptance later if you try and transfer from a nationally accredited program to a regionally accredited college:

See our FAQ on Distance Learning College Accreditation for the details on transfer credits based on the type of accreditation an online college holds.

Below is a pull quote ....

National Accreditation - Limits

Be forewarned that the majority of regionally accredited colleges (greater than 80 percent) do not accept courses and degrees earned at nationally accredited colleges as the equivalent of their own.

If you earn your bachelor’s degree at a DETC-accredited college, for example, the majority of regionally accredited colleges may not accept this bachelor’s degree as sufficient for entering their graduate level program of study.

Very important issue!

Thanks for asking.

Vicky Phillips
Founder & Education Nerd - Get Educated