Stevens-Henager Independence University Scam

• 1.3K Views
  • Last Post 16 September 2014
jcsmitty2 posted this 07 August 2014 - Last edited 25 February 2016

I JUST found this site today after searching for online masters of health promotion degrees (No GRE) and stumbled on this site. I've been researching several schools over the past two weeks and came across one called Independence University. I noticed the admissions person's email ended with steven henager.edu. Something told me to google that name and I was shocked that they are the center of a lawsuit at their main Idaho campus. I'm still learning about them, but apparently the program that I am interested in is at their Utah school. There's articles from the Hunnington Times and even a local news station in Utah interviewed two whistle-blowers! I'm really concerned. Does ANYONE out there know anything about either of these institutions? Thank you so much!

2 Comments
Kayleigh posted this 28 August 2014 - Last edited 22 October 2015

Hi there,

After some digging it looks like Independence University operates as the online extension of Stevens-Henager College, a for profit university based in Idaho.

Stevens-Henager College is indeed involved in a lawsuit for illegal student recruitment practices. More information.

High five for you cautiousness, however, as diploma mills do often change their name and/or location once they've encountered trouble or bad press.

But, Independence University is a real online institution accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) which is approved by CHEA and the U.S. Dept. of Education. It is based in Utah.

Accreditation is the first thing to check when you are researching online school options. In this case, Independence University is a fully accredited vocationally-geared online school.

However, there are many complaints against Independence University documented on the Better Business Bureau's report. You will want to review these carefully so you know what you'd be getting yourself into.

Check out our list of the Best Online Master's in Healthcare for some affordable, reputable options (whose accreditation is verified for you). Click through each school's link to see whether or not they require the GRE and to read student and reputation reviews.

Best of luck!

Kayleigh
GetEducated.com

jcsmitty2 posted this 16 September 2014 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi Kayleigh: Please forgive my delay. I was brand new to the site when I first posted. Thank you for your welcome email (I got ill shortly after joining and just catching up).

My concern was not so much the accreditation but that Steven Henager and Independance U were/are one in the same b/c they both have one of the same universities in common.

YES, I saw the documented complaints/lawsuit. They even made the news a couple of times in Idaho. Those complaints weren't in Health Promotion, but still concerned me.

I wasn't aware that they had BBB complaints (I.U.). I was almost going to register when I found you all, then got hit with severe sinuses that had me down up until a few days ago--maybe it was a blessing in disguise! :-)

The admissions guy was sweating me out calling me while I was @ work (even though I told him I couldn't talk then and gave him times, called me when I first got sick and STILL kept sweating me, emailing, even texting).

Thanks so much! :-) -JC