Charter Oak or Western Governers University

• Last Post 14 August 2013
debadee50 posted this 12 August 2013 - Last edited 26 February 2016

I am currently attending Charter Oak State College for the HIM degree. I have been looking at Western Governors University and it is already approved by AHIMA and Charter Oak is not. Western Governors University looks to be alot less expensive. I am wondering if you have any thoughts on the two. I live in Hawaii. Thanks so much

1 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 14 August 2013 - Last edited 22 October 2015

Hi Debadee50,

Both Charter Oak State College (CT) and Western Governors University are objectively among the most affordable online universities in the USA. You can see the "affordability rankings" and cost estimates for both on the school profiles in the Get Educated degree database.

Charter Oak State University Online

Western Governors University Online

That said, they are VERY DIFFERENT types of colleges and they charge for different things. Which would be more affordable for you personally would depend on where you are in your degree process and the nature and type of degree credits you already have banked at Charter Oak State.

Western Governor's, for example, uses a system that allows you to take competency exams when you are ready and as soon as you pass these exams you will earn credit. This means you pay a flat tuition for a term or period of time and if you study faster or already know the material you can progress through your degree much faster and earn more credits for the same amount of $ each term.

You mention something else which may be very important -- that WGU is approved by the AHIMA in your healthcare career area. I assume then that you are working toward a healthcare coding or medical records certification (?) and that you want to meet some specific licensing requirements. Since this career area is regulated by private certifications and licensing you will to select the degree program that is most closely keyed to AHIMA educational / certification requirements.

Is AHIMA approval required or strongly preferred for your future planned certifications or career plans? If so, I'd favor WGU BUT be sure you understand their competency based course/study plans and mentoring system before you enroll.

All the Best
Vicky