RN License Requirements in Ohio

• Last Post 11 November 2012
OHDove posted this 10 November 2012 - Last edited 26 February 2016

Hi, I am in a really difficult situation and could use some advice.

I graduated in 1996 with an Associates Degree of Applied Science/Registered Nursing. Shortly after graduating I was involved in a severe automobile accident which I had to go through years of rehabilitation. Needless to say, I had to change careers and never received my license.

I am having a hard time finding a "refresher" type program that will allow me admittance without having ever had a license. I also want to build on my degree but I really need to obtain my RN license first.

I live in Ohio and have just had a terrible time trying to find any assistance. I really need to be updated on the current procedures/policies, etc. prior to sitting for the State Boards.

I have been through numerous NCLEX-RN self study books but I also need the clinical portion. Once I get my license, I would like to go into the Health-Wellness industry, Health Management or even Healthcare Informatics.

Does anyone have any suggestions that can assist me with finding a program that will update my education and any other career paths that I can build off of my degree?

1 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 11 November 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hello OHDove,

This is a great and alas complex question ... If I understand you correctly you NEVER obtained your RN license but you did complete your degree, an Associates with an RN track major. Your goal now is to qualify to sit for the RN exam in Ohio. The dilemma, as you know, is that the RN requires BOTH the completion of a set of theory courses and supervised clinical practice. In addition, all this must be completed and documented within a certain time frame -- and it looks like you've been out of school quite some time -- since 1996? -- so that makes it very-very complicated for you to use your old education and degree now toward the RN license requirements.

I do not think you will find an online "refresher" program that can help you bcs you never earned your RN. Technically you will need to meet the Ohio state board of Nursing's requirements for an RN OR seek an exception to these requirements from the Ohio board.

STEP 1 --Start your quest with the Ohio Board of Nursing http://www.nursing.ohio.gov/

Work with them to understand how they see your situation and what they will require of you. As soon as you know what they will require of you, start looking for that ....

STEP 2 -- Contact the school where you earned your associates and ask to meet with a nursing career/academic counselor or adviser there about your situation. They should be able to help you understand the law and guide you to the right local educational resources in Ohio to meet your education or hands on clinical requirements.

STEP 3 -- Contact other Ohio based educational programs and resources as they can guide you to the best options at local sites -- such as community colleges and nursing facilities and hospitals that may be operating alternative licensing programs or clinical rounds that you may be able to join. Many states have special clinical programs on site with nursing facilities and chances are there is a facility near you where you may be able to work or study to meet any currency requirements.

ANOTHER OPTION: TRY asking the nursing program advisers at these local colleges for help in your unique situation:

Hocking College Associates RN Program OH http://www.hocking.edu/programs/nursingregistered

Cayahuga Community College Associates RN http://www.tri-c.edu/programs/nursing/Pages/default.aspx

Your situation is unique so step 1 is to understand what your state board will require in your unique situation; step 2 is to find out who can help you meet those requirements.

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes Vicky Phillips Founder - GetEducated.com

OHDove wrote: [quote]Hi,

I am in a really difficult situation and could use some advice. I graduated in 1996 with an Associates Degree of Applied Science/Registered Nursing. Shortly after graduating I was involved in a severe automobile accident which I had to go through years of rehabilitation. Needless to say, I had to change careers and never received my license. I am having a hard time finding a "refresher" type program that will allow me admittance without having ever had a license. I also want to build on my degree but I really need to obtain my RN license first.

I live in Ohio and have just had a terrible time trying to find any assistance. I really need to be updated on the current procedures/policies, etc. prior to sitting for the State Boards. I have been through numerous NCLEX-RN self study books but I also need the clinical portion.

Once I get my license, I would like to go into the Health-Wellness industry, Health Management or even Healthcare Informatics. Does anyone have any suggestions that can assist me with finding a program that will update my education and any other career paths that I can build off of my degree?[/quote]