Adobe Illustrator Courses

• Last Post 03 June 2013
pers0n posted this 19 March 2013 - Last edited 26 February 2016

I know there are video tutorials, blogs and vids on youtube that allow you to learn Adobe Illustrator, but I need assignments and an instructor that I can ask questions with and get answers. A structured online course in adobe would make me feel obligated to completing, whereas items offered randomly out there without a curriculum or any feed-back setup, won't motivate me.

Anyway, I'm not looking for a degree online, although I wouldn't be totally against it, maybe just a few classes or maybe even a certification. I already have a Bachelor's degree. I just need to build my skills in Illustrator, my weakest area since I already know Photoshop and other related skills.

Any suggestions on online schools, courses, certifications, tutors, websites or whatever that specialize in teaching this as I mentioned? Thanks in advance. :)

5 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 20 March 2013 - Last edited 26 February 2016

Hi Person,

Since you already hold a bachelor's degree and have some skills with Adobe products I agree 100% that you should now look for specific courses or a bundle of courses (such a bundle is often called "a certificate") to meet your career goals.

For others, there is a great article here on picking between a second bachelors degree program OR a certificate. The points made in this article may help you as the piece follows your logic for what type of education would best match this career dilemma.

SEE: Should I Earn a Second Bachelors Degree (vs. certificate)

In this case you want portable skills that are tied to a single vendor product -- adobe illustrator. If I were you I'd start at the horses' mouth and look at the courses and certifications that are offered and authorized by Adobe training online and learning centers nationwide.

There are more than 25 different types and levels of certification for Adobe products which are available from adobe certified training centers. Check out the official Adobe course catalog online at http://training.adobe.com/training/courses.html#

You can attend these training courses at a local center OR some are available 100% online.

The good thing about going with these courses are they are pegged to industry standardized certifications for using all types and levels of adobe products. Professional certification on adobe tool use can be a great resume and pay booster.

Another option is to look for a packaged online certificate from a college that incorporates web design and graphic design that uses Adobe certified tools and exams as a part of the degree.

To find a list of these, search our database of online certificates. We profile graduate and undergraduate together in this category. 

We have hundreds of options so you may want to narrow your search to IT certificates

I am not sure any of the above would be specific enough for your needs. Also, often colleges charge a large fee for 'transcripting' or awarding academic degree credit for certificate courses. This is great if you want to earn the certificate and apply it as credit to the major area of a bachelors or masters degree. In your case degree transcripting fees may well not be worth the extra cost.

What you really want is professional skills training that will stand up in the job market and add to your skills base in a very narrow area.

Corporate training tied to end of course certification exams would be the path I'd choose in your situation.

All the best

Vicky Phillips
Founder Get Educated - and all around online education geek

jenw posted this 29 May 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

I would also try Udemy...they have instructors who answer questions, etc. If you are looking to learn Adobe without having to pay a fortune, start here.

You can also download Adobe for a 30-day free trial. A few months ago, I wanted to check out Captivate and I downloaded it for a trial. For some reason, I still have free access to Illustrator.

Good Luck!

VickyPhillips posted this 31 May 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi Jen,

Thanks much for the tip on online courses for adobe illustrator.

There are several types of levels of adobe training on Udemy, beginning with dobe Illustrator Cs5 Tutorials, https://www.udemy.com/adobe-illustrator-cs5/ This costs anout $69.

I have not taken this course or any Udemy course that is on adobe software so I could not judge the quality. I would be afraid that a mostly self-guided tutorial like this would not give the student enough guidance and structure.

have you taken this course or others on Udemy? Do you teach on Udemy?

Would love to hear more of your experiences.

All the Best Vicky

jenw wrote: [quote]I would also try Udemy...they have instructors who answer questions, etc. If you are looking to learn Adobe without having to pay a fortune, start here.

You can also download Adobe for a 30-day free trial. A few months ago, I wanted to check out Captivate and I downloaded it for a trial. For some reason, I still have free access to Illustrator.

Good Luck![/quote]

Wyatt posted this 03 June 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

You didn't mention why you want to learn Illustrator or what you want to do with the certificate however you might try Media Bistro. I have taken a different course and received excellent feedback especially considering the price, it is relatively inexpensive. I also found some great connections with other classmates who also offered valuable feedback. As Vicky mentioned, that feedback component is essential. Something like Lynda.com is great and works well for many but there isn't the feedback that can help pinpoint errors you might not notice or guide you to another level more quickly. Here is the Media Bistro course, they have a couple coming up:

http://www.mediabistro.com/Adobe-Illustrator-crs8017.html

The tagline is "Create vector graphics and learn the fundamentals of ad design." You do begin an ad portfolio which would be helpful but it depends on your end goal is. Even to get your feet wet, this would be good. Hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck!

--Wyatt

pers0n posted this 03 June 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

The udemy class doesnt seem to show they provide any feedback or a way to ask questions, it just looks like video tutorials, which I can already do easily. I found watching tutorials doesn't push me, only classroom environments or some kind of interactive guided feedback.

I'm wanting to learn illustrator since I am having to use it more and more, but my current job is as a web designer, so I don't use it too often.

mediabristo looks interesting though