NWCU Law School Accreditation

• Last Post 30 March 2012
jewell posted this 30 March 2012 - Last edited 15 March 2016

I am thinking at enrolling at Northwestern California University School of Law because the tuition is affordable and the classes can be done on your own time. I also think you can write the Bar exam when completed. What do you guys think of this school. I always wanted to be a lawyer but can't afford the high costs of law schools.

2 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 30 March 2012 - Last edited 26 October 2015

Hi Jewell,

The NWCU is one a special class or kind of "law school" that operates 100% online out of the state of California without accreditation from any institutional agency or from the ABA (American Bar Association). We do not list it om our website because we only list colleges which are accredited by a recognized agency and NWCU is NOT accredited.

SEE more on accreditation and law schools online.

The State of California has allowed "colleges" to operate with out accreditation for a long time; all the state has required is "approval" to operate as a business. The Calif bar is unusual in that they are one of very few that will allow graduates of non-accredited law schools to sit for and take the bar exam.

Get Educated does not list or recommend unaccredited online colleges that operate out of California under "state approval" bcs of their limited ability in terms of recognition in the career world and the law community.

If you live in California and intend to use this degree only in California you may be able to get use out of this degree ... you have to decide what you want to use your degree for and if this type of unaccredited degree will meet your career goals.

Also, check the pass rate of grads of this school on the CA bar. Many state approved law schools suffer from their grads not being well prepared to take the bar exam. This is public info and you can get this data from the school or the bar -- this will tell you if the school does a good job of prepping grads for the bar exam if that is important to you. I'd definitely check the bar pass rate before investing in any unaccredited law degree. (Actually I'd check the pass rate for ANY law school before ponying up any money.) There is a glut of attorneys in the USA so check any school carefully!

All the best

Vicky Phillips

jewell posted this 30 March 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

thanks Vicki for the information about the school. At my age 59, I am not hoping to work for any organization but the degree will only be used for my own gratification, to help friends if they have a law question, and to be knowledgeable about the law and society. So I guess this will be just fine to keep me busy and also get my degree.