Online Masters from atop German University – in English Freie Universitat Berlin is accepting applications for their two English language online graduate programs: Master of International Relations and Master of Eastern European Studies. The deadline is April 30. Both programs are entirely in English.

FU Berlin is consistently ranked as one the three top universities in Germany and in the top 25 in the world. Four Nobel Laureates have served on the faculty of the university.

The link is here: http://www.ees-online.org

I am an alumnus of FU Berlin with a MA in Eastern European Studies. It was a great program with excellent Berlin professors and guest lecturers (Stanford, London School of Economics and Cambridge) and the one-week residencies are designed to give you the maximum exposure to Berlin. I met with government ministers in the Reichstag, attended receptions at embassies in Berlin and was a guest at private museum tours. Berlin is surprisingly cheap for a European city and the airfare is lower cost from the U.S. than to many other EU destinations.

The school assists with accommodations, I stayed in very nice, low cost university housing near the school (former U.S. Officers Club). You are also viewed as any other student – I ate my meals in the Mensa (student cafateria) and our student ID was good for discounts throughout the city. For Cold War history fans, the school is located in the former American Sector and near the school you can see houses, clubs and offices of major German and American figures from 1937-89. The reason it is called “Free University” is that in 1947 as the Communists took over the schools in the Soviet sector of Berlin, faculty fled to the American Sector to start a university with academic freedoms – thus the name. The school was also prominent during the Cold War, Kennedy made one of his Berlin speeches here and is one of the 12 citizens (the highest honor) of the university. Two of the major buildings are named after Americans – Henry Ford and Ben Franklin.

While this program is delivered online, there are four required five-day residencies. The workload for the program is substantial - this is a program of an elite German university – so be prepared. I was able to finish in two years while working fulltime; however, there is a four year option. Of my class of 18, only three were from the United States, so this is a true international program.