Cheapest Online MSF Programs - AACSB

• Last Post 25 April 2013
nebuchadnezzar54831 posted this 16 April 2013 - Last edited 15 March 2016

Hello Get Educated members, I am trying to search for the cheapest online master's degree in finance through an AACSB accredited school. I would really appreciate the help. Thank you. P.S. I have already tried to use the search function on the home page.

8 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 16 April 2013 - Last edited 26 October 2015

Hi Nebbu,

The GetEducated guide profiles both accredited online finance masters AND accredited online finance MBA programs.

The 2 with * below -- Bentley and Indiana University -- are also AACSB accredited >>>

View all online MBA programs in Finance major. 

The following 6 are AACSB accredited:

University of Colorado Colorado Springs (CO) Graduate School of Business Administration Master of Business Administration / Finance 

Northeastern University (MA) D Amore-McKim School of Business - Graduate Master of Business Administration / Finance 

University of Wisconsin-Whitewater (WI) College of Business and Economics - Graduate Master of Business Administration / Finance 

University of Massachusetts-Lowell (MA) Graduate School of Business Master of Business Administration / Finance

University of Tennessee-Martin (TN) College of Business & Public Affairs-Graduate Master of Business Administration for Banking Professionals

Texas Southern University (TX) Jesse H. Jones School of Business-Graduate Executive Master of Business Administration / Energy Finance

============================================================

Online Finance Masters

Walsh College Walsh College (MI) School of Accountancy & Business Administration - Graduate Dual Master of Business Administration / Master of Science in Finance Est. Cost: $39,082

Walsh College Walsh College (MI) School of Accountancy & Business Administration - Graduate Master of Science in Finance Est. Cost: $21,522

Kansas State University Kansas State University (KS) College of Human Ecology - Graduate Master of Science in Personal Financial Planning Est. Cost: $19,530

Kansas State University offers three online programs in personal financial planning: a master’s degree (42 credit hours), a certificate program (18 credit hours), and a Ph.D. program (summer face-to-face sessions and dissertation required). K-State’s personal financial planning programs are CFP Board-Registered, qualifying graduates to sit for the CFP® Certification Examination. Personal fina...

DeVry University-Online (IL) Keller Graduate School of Management Master of Accounting & Financial Management Est. Cost: $33,825

**Bentley College (MA) McCallum Graduate Business School Master of Science in Financial Planning Est. Cost: $35,280 

**Indiana University (IN) Kelley School of Business - Graduate Master of Science in Finance Est. Cost: $34,350 

Montana State University (MT) College of Education, Health & Human Development-Graduate Masters of Science in Health & Human Development / Family Financial Planning Est. Cost: $19,530

Webster University (MO) School of Business & Technology-Graduate Master of Science in Finance Est. Cost: $24,300

University of Maryland-University College (MD) Graduate School of Management and Technology Master of Science in Accounting & Financial Management Est. Cost: $24,192

University of Maryland-University College (MD) Graduate School of Management and Technology Master of Science in Financial Management & Information Systems Est. Cost: $24,192

Good Luck!

Vicky

nebuchadnezzar54831 posted this 16 April 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Thanks for the help, Vicky!

vicky posted this 16 April 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

You are welcome. Do any of these finance master's interest you? Do you know of others we could add?

Let us know. Vicky

nebuchadnezzar54831 wrote:

Thanks for the help, Vicky!

nebuchadnezzar54831 posted this 16 April 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Vicky, They do interest, but they are too expensive as I will be leaving on resident's salary. From my research, I have found Creighton University and Penn State have online MS in Finance programs. Between the MS in accounting and MS in finance, which degree do you think will be better for getting into management consulting? Thanks. Regards, Hoa

VickyPhillips posted this 19 April 2013 - Last edited 26 October 2015

Hi Neb,

Thanks for the tips on the other two online finance degrees.

I looked at them both:

Penn State Worldcampus

Online Finance Masters

30 credits at $1.025 per credit

This well-respected online graduate degree program is AACSB-accredited, designed to help to prepare you for various professional certifications, such as the Chartered Financial Analyst® (CFA®) certification.

Careers most commonly associated with a finance degree plan are:

asset/wealth or private equity manager
investment banking or commercial lending officer
financial model builder
financial analyst
mutual fund managers, portfolio manager
financial planner
financial risk manager
corporate finance officer

========================

Creighton University Online Online Master's in Security Analysis and Portfolio Management (MSAPM)

More info.

Investing is one of the more complex, competitive and rewarding areas in finance. Creighton's M.S. in Security Analysis & Portfolio Management (MSAPM) delivers advanced knowledge about investment assessment, security analysis and portfolio management,

Creighton's MSAPM program is designed for the three levels of the Chartered Financial Analyst® (CFA®) exam1 and is taught by faculty members with the CFA® designation. Though the MSAPM is built around the CFA® curriculum, there is no requirement that students pursue this designation concurrently or ever. The MSAPM is a practitioner-oriented online master's degree program in finance that provides the knowledge required for investment professionals.

The program is refined each year in order to keep up with the fast-moving world of finance and investment.

Examples of job titles in this area include:

Private Client Wealth Manager
Hedge Fund Manager
Investment Banker
Investment Operations Analyst
Hedge Fund Analyst
Portfolio Manager
Equity Analyst
Chief Investment Officer
Equity Strategist
Fixed Income Strategist

Both these program follow a core standard for the CFA designation, which I assume you will want? Both prep you equally for a career understanding corporate finance and personal financial management.

Consulting is a big world. Do you aim to consult at the corporate level -- as in venture capital, funding corporate activities, investment banking? If so either of these are standard degrees.

Accounting would be different. Most accountants prep to be CPAs and study accounting in depth and then add a grad level program in a specialty areas like tax accounting or forensic accounting. They help with corp finance BUT are more geared toward maintaining business structures and understanding tax laws and loopholes.

Do you want to be a CPA or a CFA? The two types of online master's degrees would take you into 2 different certification tracks and career positions.

AS to reputation -- both are solid. You will find Penn a better choice for any East Coast gig and networking. Creighten has a reputation more limited to the Midwest / Chicago network area. Alumni networking is important in the consulting world is why I me mention this aspect of choosing an online degree.

Vicky

nebuchadnezzar54831 posted this 23 April 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Vicky, thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. Do you know how much the Creighton program is?

[color=#FF4000]Both these program follow a core standard for the CFA designation, which I assume you will want? Both prep you equally for a career understanding corporate finance and personal financial management.[/color]-->I do like the CFA designation, but the cost of getting a MS in Finance is substantial. I am in an awkward situtation of graduating with a PharmD in May, but I have to bachelor's degree.

[color=#FF4000]Consulting is a big world. Do you aim to consult at the corporate level -- as in venture capital, funding corporate activities, investment banking? If so either of these are standard degrees.[/color]--> I want to head to McKinsey, Bain, or Boston Consulting first before going into investment banking.

Accounting would be different. Most accountants prep to be CPAs and study accounting in depth and then add a grad level program in a specialty areas like tax accounting or forensic accounting. They help with corp finance BUT are more geared toward maintaining business structures and understanding tax laws and loopholes.

[color=#FF4000]Do you want to be a CPA or a CFA? The two types of online master's degrees would take you into 2 different certification tracks and career positions.[/color]-->I think the CFA designation is much more useful in the long run. Does the CFA require a certain number of classroom hours before you can seat for the test?

Thank you for the help.

VickyPhillips posted this 24 April 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi Neb,

Creighton does not publish the cost of their online masters in finance so I can't tell you that. There appears to be no data on that on their one site and we don't profile this degree on our site so we have no solid cost data on them.

You know that you do NOT need a master's in finance to take the CFA Exam. SEE CFA site: https://www.cfainstitute.org/pages/index.aspx

You only need to meet these requirements:

Have a bachelor's (or equivalent) degree

or be in the final year of your bachelor's degree program at the time of registration*
or have four years of professional work experience (does not have to be investment related)
or have a combination of professional work and college experience that totals at least four years. Part-time positions do not qualify, and the four-year total must be accrued prior to enrollment.

AND Understand the professional conduct requirements (you will be asked to sign the Professional Conduct

HOWEVER since you don't work in finance now you will need some educational prep. for that CFA exam.

You could take the prep courses directly from the CFA OR take a master's degree that integrates exam prep as do the 2 online finance masters you are looking at now.

Also, given your career goals, which are blue chip and related to big business you'd WANT a masters from an AACSB program to compete.

Vicky

nebuchadnezzar54831 wrote: [quote]Vicky, thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. Do you know how much the Creighton program is?

[color=#FF4000]Both these program follow a core standard for the CFA designation, which I assume you will want? Both prep you equally for a career understanding corporate finance and personal financial management.[/color]-->I do like the CFA designation, but the cost of getting a MS in Finance is substantial. I am in an awkward situtation of graduating with a PharmD in May, but I have to bachelor's degree.

[color=#FF4000]Consulting is a big world. Do you aim to consult at the corporate level -- as in venture capital, funding corporate activities, investment banking? If so either of these are standard degrees.[/color]--> I want to head to McKinsey, Bain, or Boston Consulting first before going into investment banking.

[color=#FF4000]Do you want to be a CPA or a CFA? The two types of online master's degrees would take you into 2 different certification tracks and career positions.[/color]-->I think the CFA designation is much more useful in the long run. Does the CFA require a certain number of classroom hours before you can seat for the test?

Thank you for the help.[/quote]

VickyPhillips posted this 25 April 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

PS>

Just read a helpful article on becoming a CFA which may help you decide on its use vs thr CPA and accounting for your future career moves.

try the pros and cons of a CFA at Investopedia: http://www.investopedia.com/articles/professionaleducation/07/cfa-charter.asp

Vicky