Saint Joseph's College of Maine MAcc Reviews

• Last Post 31 January 2013
bryttb posted this 30 January 2013 - Last edited 15 March 2016

Do you have any information about Saint Joseph's College of Maine online school? Specifically their online masters in accounting (Online MACC)? I can't find much on them at all.

3 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 30 January 2013 - Last edited 26 October 2015

Hi BR,

Yes, we do list Saint Joseph's College of Maine and their online degree programs in our directory.

Saint Joseph's College is a private brick and mortar Catholic school in Maine that has offered healthcare and business professional degrees via mailed lessons and online since the 1980s. They are regionally accredited and well thought of, at least on the east coast, where they have educated a lot of working professionals over the years through their extended campus programs. (There are a number of Saint Joseph's in the USA so I specify that this one is in Maine.)

You are looking at Saint Joseph's online accounting masters degree program.

The online Master of Accountancy degree at Saint Joseph’s College is a 36-credit graduate program .... The online Master of Accountancy also satisfies the widely adopted 150-hour educational requirement for certification and licensure as a CPA.

Campus visits are optional so you can earn this degree anywhere and if you need CPA or accounting professional hours this program would be a good pick.

See the profile above for more details on admission and so on.

You can compare them to other online masters in accounting by using our best buy accounting rankings here:

They were not in our directory when we did the affordability rankings BUT had they been they are very affordable. They would rate a 'B in that area compared to the options on the table above.

I'd say they are a solid, affordable choice from a solid private school that has been doing distance learning for professional student a very long time.

We don't have any student reviews on this degree; it is new in our listings. If anyone out their is an alum of saint jospeph's maine PLEASE post a review and help BR out with insider information.

What do you need in an online master's?

This one is low in cost, solid in name brand, and is designed to meet licensing requirements in accounting / CPA.

Compare it to the others on our online degree ranking lists.

What are you looking for? Any of the above?

All the best

Vicky Phillips

bryttb posted this 30 January 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Vicky, Thank you so very much for responding! I was highly interested in this university due to the low cost and less demanding entrance! I am just looking for a Masters of Accounting that can be completed at an accelerated pace without being overly pricey. I think they offer all that I am looking for but since I am in the south I wasn't sure of the respect the school had. I also am looking into another school Southern Poly Tech State University here in GA they are regionally accredited and offer a low price masters of science of accounting program. I am torn between the two programs at the moment. I think I like having the MaCC part on my title though.

VickyPhillips posted this 31 January 2013 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi BR,

Thanks for the feedback.

So, your two best choices are Saint Josephs MACC or the Southern Polytechnic University MSA (Master of Science Accounting). I had to go look up the Georgia degree to compare them. Below is what I found on the Georgia SPSU degree;

Online Master of Science in Accounting (MSA)

The MSA program at SPSU offers you • A rigorous fully on-line graduate degree in accounting from a University System of Georgia school. • A program designed to be completed in one or more years (1-4 courses per semester). • 10 upper level courses (30 hours) in accounting/law. • A course of study that covers material tested on the CPA exam. • Courses that will help you meet the 150 hour requirement of the Georgia Board of Accountancy. • An asynchronous delivery format (no pre-set meeting times) that allows you flexibility in scheduling your study time. • Convenient accounting prerequisites for applicants who have a non-accounting undergraduate business degree. • Flexible application and entry dates that allow you to start classes without waiting for a cohort group to be organized. • Acceptance with a 2.75 GPA and without taking the GMAT or GRE exams. • A very affordable graduate degree in accounting.

This program is also solid and affordable.

The issue of where you live and work can impact your decision. As you said, you had no heard of Saint Joseph's BUT since I have been studying colleges for 25 years I've known about them for a long time, and also I am in New England.

SPSU is a part of the Georgia State College system and that system has a great and large online division now. Are you in Georgia? In any case you might ask some of your peers or others on say Linked In about these 2 schools specifically for accounting. The other thing would be to compare the two course plans. You should you liked having the MAAC as opposed to the MSA. Any reasons why?

In any case BOTH these schools are solid, well-respected universities that offer a good plan of study for professional accountants.

Vicky

bryttb wrote: [quote]Vicky, Thank you so very much for responding! I was highly interested in this university due to the low cost and less demanding entrance! I am just looking for a Masters of Accounting that can be completed at an accelerated pace without being overly pricey. I think they offer all that I am looking for but since I am in the south I wasn't sure of the respect the school had. I also am looking into another school Southern Poly Tech State University here in GA they are regionally accredited and offer a low price masters of science of accounting program. I am torn between the two programs at the moment. I think I like having the MaCC part on my title though.[/quote]