Foreign Credit Evaluation

• Last Post 26 December 2012
Harold123 posted this 26 December 2012 - Last edited 15 March 2016

HI, i will marry an active duty AF member in October. I am a German citizen and have several degrees. Now I am wondering how my degrees are being evaluated in the US system. We will move to the US soon and i really would like to go back to school. WIth that being said , depending on how my degrees will be accredited, I will chose what classes I am going to take. I heard that there were people sending in their certifictes to WES or Military one Source for example, others have sent it directly to colleges. I heard very different stories, some degrees werent accepted at all, some even hadwere equivalent to a hight degree in the States. I am totally confused as to how to start and waht is the right way to get the best and fair evaluation out of my school history!???? PLease help!!! Here is some information: - 10 years Gymnasium, then 2 years Fachoberschule with Fachabitur -then 3 years translation studies mit internem Abschluss (kein öffentlich rechtlicher Abschluss) -then degree as Kauffrau für Bürokommunikation Kauffrau für Bürokommunikation (Externenprüfung an der IHK, including 3 months of evening classes in Frankfurt)

1 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 26 December 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi Harold123,

First,congrats on the upcoming nuptials and the relocation to the US. Hope all goes well for you.

In terms of foreign credential and transcript evaluations you are on the right track. Both colleges and employers in the US will want to see a formal third party language translation and equivalency report on your foreign credentials. Most colleges use one of 15 approved NACES evaluators to do these reports.

Yes -- WES or World Education Services http://www.wes.org is one of the most commonly used, largest, and trusted services for foreign credential evaluations in the USA. A report done by them will give you what you need to know and will report how your German transcripts meet US standards for employment.

You can either go ahead and order an assessment from WES -- this would be very helpful in knowing how your credentials translate and in letting you begin to decide how to plan for any further education or employment in the US.

You could wait until you know you need an assessment -- that is until you are actually ready to apply to a school or job agency here -- but it may be best to go ahead and have an assessment on file so you know for sure your standing. The benefit to waiting would be that if any agency requires you to use a specific service then you won't risk having to pay for a second evaluation.

Most colleges do NOT do the assessments themselves but rely on foreign credential services to do the assessments for them. WES is very widely recognized.

Most colleges will accept evaluations from any member of the NACES http://www.naces.org/members.htm.

Good Luck! Vicky Phillips

Harold123 wrote: [quote]HI,

i will marry an active duty AF member in October. I am a German citizen and have several degrees.

Now I am wondering how my degrees are being evaluated in the US system. We will move to the US soon and i really would like to go back to school. WIth that being said , depending on how my degrees will be accredited, I will chose what classes I am going to take.

I heard that there were people sending in their certifictes to WES or Military one Source for example, others have sent it directly to colleges. I heard very different stories, some degrees werent accepted at all, some even hadwere equivalent to a hight degree in the States. I am totally confused as to how to start and waht is the right way to get the best and fair evaluation out of my school history!????

PLease help!!!

Here is some information:

• 10 years Gymnasium, then 2 years Fachoberschule with Fachabitur -then 3 years translation studies mit internem Abschluss (kein öffentlich rechtlicher Abschluss) -then degree as Kauffrau für Bürokommunikation Kauffrau für Bürokommunikation (Externenprüfung an der IHK, including 3 months of evening classes in Frankfurt)[/quote]