Master's by Research Distance Learning

• Last Post 22 December 2012
luis posted this 19 December 2012 - Last edited 15 March 2016

Hello! I´m a 33-year old economist from Argentina, graduated twice at university and would like to know whether there are thesis-only master degrees online or distance learning in the field of economics and finance. My mother tongue is Spanish and I am fluent in English, to the point that I have taken online courses in the USA, which clearly proves I can handle the language really well. Any suggestions concerning my choices for a thesis-only master in economics? I would certainly appreciate your advice, looking forward to hearing from you. Luis.

1 Comments
VickyPhillips posted this 22 December 2012 - Last edited 06 August 2015

Hi Luis,

Thanks for asking about the research based thesis only master's by distance learning.

First, sorry to say but there is NO such thing available in the USA from any accredited online university. USA accreditation standards do not recognize this type of approach to master's study. All accredited US master's degrees will require you to complete core courses in your study area under the direct offering of the university faculty.

HOWEVER there are several options in Australia and South Africa for a distance learning or online master's or doctorate for thesis research. This is because these countries do recognize and allow for research based distance learning; it is a part of their educational culture.

Start your search for a real research-based master's or doctorate by distance learning at the University of South Africa -- http://www.unisa.ac.za/default.html

Consider also Charles Stuart University in Australia. Don't have the URL handy but you can easily Google them.

Ask advisers at both these great world-class leaders among distance learning universities to help you locate other valid options from Australia and the UK.

If any online university that claims to be headquartered in the USA says you can earn an online masters for submitting a research paper ONLY rest assured that school is a degree mill and do NOT enroll.

All the best Vicky Phillips Get Educated

luis wrote: [quote]Hello!

I´m a 33-year old economist from Argentina, graduated twice at university and would like to know whether there are thesis-only master degrees online or distance learning in the field of economics and finance.

My mother tongue is Spanish and I am fluent in English, to the point that I have taken online courses in the USA, which clearly proves I can handle the language really well.

Any suggestions concerning my choices for a thesis-only master in economics?

I would certainly appreciate your advice, looking forward to hearing from you. Luis.[/quote]